Quantcast
The Grind - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Grind

Scott,
    how does Del's convex compare to Carter convex in terms of performance? Carter convexes his blades high. I think the last time I measured, it was 1.5" above the edge on 2.125" tall knife.

M

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbybrocks View Post
    1. do you find single bevel knives part food in the same sort of way?
    2. I've been flat grinding my knives so far and only convex the final bevel. I improved this a little by adding a 7 degree secondary bevel with a micro bevel primary. Do you think it needs to be convex to achieve this or could it have a partial flat grind, with a high secondary, then weeny little primary.
    3. Does the blending really change anything? I'm thinking if you have a high secondary it would be easier to maintain a tiny primary bevel as well, because you can rework the secondary at one angle.
    1. Yes.
    2. No.
    3. It looks more "finished" and yes, to be able to "thin" the knife using the secondary bevel as a guide and then going to the primary bevel prevent a decrease in performance due to thickening of the blade behind the edge.

@Marko: Carter's bevels range anywhere from 1.4 cm to 2.5 cm in width. Del's heel area has excellent performance. He has been optimizing the balance of taper, secondary bevel angle/height toward the tip. I'm assuming that is why Salty is in the process of thinning down his bevels.

thanks for the video. well done and informative

I agree - no BS, just business. This has been helpful!!

I like the video, but the scientist in me does protest: Any thoughts about what part of the difference can be explained by the different grind and what by the different surface?

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    I like the video, but the scientist in me does protest: Any thoughts about what part of the difference can be explained by the different grind and what by the different surface?

Stefan
    You mean does any of it have to do with one being straight steel and the other being damascus?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Yep, the knives are different in two variables, the grind and the surface. So if the taters stick differently, it can be because of either one or both. I have no idea, just curious.

Stefan

The surface certainly can affect how food sticks, even on straight steel or clad knives, how it is finished (what grit finish, polished, scratch pattern, etc) has some effect. How much it affects it, and how much it varies from straight steel to damascus is probably negligible. I would say the grind is responsible for at least 95% of a blades food release performance, and finish 5% at the most. More so if we are talking a fully polished blade, but that makes it worse not better, so it isn't a good thing that it affects performance as equally (or whatever) as the grind does.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Yep, the knives are different in two variables, the grind and the surface. So if the taters stick differently, it can be because of either one or both. I have no idea, just curious.

Stefan
    Wouldn't the scientist also expect the straight steel knife to stick more than the damascus one, given the uniformity of it's surface?

Perhaps this test actually shows how truly effective the grind is, despite being handicapped by a more "stiction" prone surface.

Good vid Scott, as always. Thank you for the insight.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Stefan
    Del's deeply etched damascus actually releases food more readily than a more finely finished flat ground blade. If the damascus knife had been polished to the same level as the monosteel blade, Salty would have had a much more difficult time, getting those slices off.

Wow. I was slow on this one. +1 to both JC and wenus.

+ Reply to Thread