Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Grind

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Scott,
    how does Del's convex compare to Carter convex in terms of performance? Carter convexes his blades high.
    M

The primary edge may be considered convex because of the natural rocking of the body while sharpening freehand, but Murray grinds his secondary bevels on a revolving waterwheel so his knives are hollow, not convex.

That's interesting. I suspected as much until I put a straight edge to the bevel. It looks more or less flat although it is admittedly hard to tell. The "convex" Salty is referring to is the shoulder at the transition between the secondary bevel and the rest of the knife up to the spine.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    That's interesting. I suspected as much until I put a straight edge to the bevel. It looks more or less flat although it is admittedly hard to tell. The "convex" Salty is referring to is the shoulder at the transition between the secondary bevel and the rest of the knife up to the spine.
    I see. Any convex from the shinogi up is happening naturally from the forging process, I would say.

I am confused. Is the grind a partial flat grind that does not go to the spine or is the grind convex? Or something different?

Thanks

John

Actually, I think he literally means the hump right on the shinogi.

Quote Originally Posted by jason View Post
    I see. Any convex from the shinogi up is happening naturally from the forging process, I would say.
    Yes, forged knives often have "natural" convexing just from being hammered more in the middle of the blade. Sometimes they actually get thicker down towards the edge again from this, and their thinnest point ends up being in the middle of the blade (minus the actual cutting edge of course).
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JMJones View Post
    I am confused. Is the grind a partial flat grind that does not go to the spine or is the grind convex? Or something different?

Thanks

John
    Murray uses a large round stone to cut the partial "flat" ground bevel. Because the stone has a curved surface, it is actually a little concave according to Jason. To me and my straight edge, it appears to be roughly flat.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Murray uses a large round stone to cut the partial "flat" ground bevel. Because the stone has a curved surface, it is actually a little concave according to Jason. To me and my straight edge, it appears to be roughly flat.
    I've ground all of mine to be full-flat, but if you were to lay the secondary flat on a rough stone and scratch it up a bit you'll see the hollow in the center - it may be minute on some knives.

@Johnny: The way Murray cold forges he'll hammer the outsides and then go up the middle to eliminate this as much as possible, but no one is perfect.

Jason,
    do you have some kind of software running that notifies you every time Carter's name is mentioned?
    Salty is a big fan of Carter's knives, so no worries here.

M

@ Scott,
    so how does it perform compared to Carter?

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

No.
    I just read more, and post a lot less.