Brooklyn Visit - Recommendations?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildBoar

Home cook, knife accumulator
KKF Supporting Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
We'll be visiting Brooklyn the first weekend in August for a wedding reception. The place for the reception is along the water just south of the Williamsburg Bridge (Giando on the Water).

Looking for recommendations on places to eat and places to stay. Not sure yet if we will drive up or not; I'm guessing we will, but may be parking the car for the duration of the visit.

I see Little Italy and Chinatown are not too far from the east end of the bridge, so walking around there one day is on the list of things to do. We'll have our 2 year old (2-1/2 by then), so we're not looking for anything too upscale. Would be great to see a KKF member or two if possible while we are there!

Kid friendly limits the dining options a bit but you could hit up Smorgasburg - http://www.smorgasburg.com/ ... It gets pretty crowded but its kid friendly and not pricey (Sunday one at Brooklyn Bridge Park is better setting). As for kid friendly, moderate priced restaurants in BK - Speedy Romeos, Xi'an Famous Foods, BrisketTown, Frankies, Wilma Jean, Bun-Ker, Oddfellows for Ice Cream, Chuko for Ramen (go early, wait can get long)

Thanks! As far as kid-friendly goes, we just need to be able to keep Luca penned in for an hour or so, which works best if there is a booth/ partial booth. He eats grown up food. Heck, he eats a lot more stuff then I will eat. He chows down on fish, chicken, etc. Mommy and daddy have to work a bit to keep him amused though, so we are the ones 'upscale' gets wasted on :D Gotta admit "BrisketTown" sounds like a place I would not want to miss.

Only 1-1/2 weeks left before we visit Brooklyn (July 31 - Aug 3). Any KKF members working at places in the vicinity? I'll be bored hanging out with the wife's family for 3 days so I'll be looking for a reason to break away.

Also, is Peter Luger's a 'must do it once in your life' place, or are our $$$s spent better elsewhere in the vicinity if we feel like having a cow slayed in our honor?

Peter Luger's is top notch, but expensive. Try a pastrami on rye at Katz's Deli on Houston St. in the lower east side instead, or in addition to.

If you are looking for some slayed cow or any other kind of meat this spot is a New School Brooklyn Steakhouse that is much kinder on your wallet. Some say it outshines Lugers these days. One thing, no reservations and this place will stack up a two hour wait in the blink of an eye after opening - St Anselm Link

Back