Hey from Colorado

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anticipation

Reaction score
How's it going? I'm a line cook from Chicago that's currently living in Denver while attending culinary school. Living with two other cooks, and we're all starting to build our knife collections. Right now I'm looking at picking up my first gyuto, and I'm looking for advice regarding the best F&F among the oodles of japanese steel brands out there.

Figured I'd fill this out as well

What type of knife(s) do you think you want?
210/240mm Gyuto, not sure as to whether I'd prefer wa or yo. Also interested in a deba, but I'm not familiar enough with how well they work to pursue one now.

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?
Replacing my German F. Dick standard issue for my upcoming internship. Main use will be every day line duties/prep work.

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?

Aesthetics- Not really that interested in aesthetics. A good knife is a good knife regardless of how it looks.

Edge Quality/Retention- I like as sharp a blade as I can get, not really that knowledgeable about sharpening j-blades yet though so something that's a little easier to hone might be the ticket.

Ease of Use-
Comfort- My German steel is heavy and cumbersome, looking for something more comfortable for long term use. Lighter is better I'd say.

What grip do you use?
Pinch.

What kind of cutting motion do you use?
chop/slice, not much of a rocker except when I'm dealing with herbs.

Where do you store them?
I have a bag.

Have you ever oiled a handle?
No.

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use?
Currently a NSF.

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?
Honing rod works well right now.

Have they ever been sharpened?
Sharpen them every time I work.

What is your budget?
$300 Max

What do you cook and how often?
I work saute at an Italian restaurant, so a lot of my prep consists of protein fabrication (i.e. veal, chicken, salmon, beef), veg like sqaush, tomatoes, and mushrooms.

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)?
N/A

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Welcome, sir!

How soon do you need the knife? There's always the Hiromoto AS group buy, which you just showed up in time to check out and magically fits all your criteria. It'd be less like trying out a Japanese knife and more like your first car being a Porsche 911.

It'll be a few months till its in your hands, but it'll be worth the wait!

Back