Can we get Marko some PR?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Markos name has recently popped up again in regards to custom makers (in NYC) deserving some press. Having been in that industry both as a journalist and as a PR person, I kind of know what triggered the coverage for Chelsea Miller (and Joel, for that matter).

I bet that at least Chelsea does not have a publicist, what she probably has are friends in the industry (given that it's NYC) who can give her pointers. It also helps to have a decent website, background story (it's all about storytelling), a diversity factor in a male driven industry (I am working in Manufacturing now, journalists are all over female engineer stories) and if you're a natural with social media ... booooom!

When it comes to Joel, he profited from the whole Brooklyn revival thing. Handmade in Brooklyn was (and is) a thing for - yes, Hipsters among them - the new wave of Brooklyn residents. I am not judging, just the way it is. He fit right in with the beard, the store, the story ... and it certainly helps to have had that story himself (struggling writer) that was made into this neat video by the Brooklyn Chamber of commerce.

That being said: I'd be happy to help out with trying to get Marko some exposure, if he's interested in that. I am sure we have some really capable and willing people on this forum who'd love to support that.

Just my two cents...

I think PR is pretty low on the list of things a lot of custom makers need help with.

alterwisser,
super nice thought, your heart is in the right place..
Before anything though someone should probably ask the man (Marko) if he even wants it (PR).
Cheers

alterwisser,
Before anything though someone should probably ask the man (Marko) if he even wants it (PR).
Cheers

Of course given he's fine with it. And I think I read somewhere that he doesn't even want it. Wasn't there a discussion with the Bloodroot guys at some point?

Marko has the skills to pay the bills...he doesn't need any help. But he can certainly help me with a donation :)

Find a Ukrainian who writes for a significant publication.

I would totally donate some development and hosting for the site (there seems to be nothing right now) if needed. But first ask the guy if he wants it. Ill timed publicity could be a white elephant.

Marko has the skills to pay the bills...he doesn't need any help. But he can certainly help me with a donation :)

This. Marko can't even begin to keep up with demand. Not that I don't think he deserves all the press and hype in the world .

I think PR is pretty low on the list of things a lot of custom makers need help with.

+1

I think his custom list is currently closed as far as I'm aware? Also a few members I've talked to that have been on his list for years have long given up asking about their knives.

What I'm getting at is it seems he can't currently keep up with demand... So PR seems a low priority.

What he needs IMO is a secretary / PA, several shop assistants competent with woodworking & most importantly a clone of himself.

+1

I think his custom list is currently closed as far as I'm aware? Also a few members I've talked to that have been on his list for years have long given up asking about their knives.

What I'm getting at is it seems he can't currently keep up with demand... So PR seems a low priority.

What he needs IMO is a secretary / PA, several shop assistants competent with woodworking & most importantly a clone of himself.

Maybe an apprentice? I'm up for it ;)

Firstly, Marko makes a quality product. I love my Marko gyuto—it's a keeper, a cherished member in my current rotation.

Secondly, Marko's social media presence and branding is awful, really really awful.

What he desperately needs is:
• A website. Good examples of cutler websites are: www.haburnknives.com, www.bloodrootblades.com. These are well designed sites, and know how to rock their SEO. A website for artisans these days is "Business 101"—a no brainer for any business wanting to reach beyond "word of mouth" clients. Media is less likely to touch artisans lacking a website. Why give press to someone who can't easily be reached by its readership? Building a website is super easy through companies like Squarespace—one can put together a well designed, functional site in just a few hours—just gotta commit to putting in the work to make it happen,
• A proper email address. His KKF profile says to email "[email protected]," if I didn't know about his knives, I'd consider an email like that to be a scam. Really needs an email like [email protected]. His current email address tells me nothing about him or his craft—very unprofessional, needs to take the business side seriously.
• Social Media presence. Marko needs to get with the program. He has an Instagram account, hasn't posted anything, on his IG he has his website address from which get a message that reads "Looks Like This Domain Isn't Connected To A Website Yet!"—which tells a potential buyer that Tsourkan Knives is possibly out of business.
• Needs to IG more, for better or worse we live in an increasingly fast paced visual culture. Jump on the train or get lost behind. Some of my fave IG feeds are @jknifeimports @sharpandshinyshop, @pcpken, @japanese_knives_collection.
• Marko doesn't need a PR person—he needs better branding, social media and internet presence.

When I teach classes and workshops to grad students, there's a lot of emphasis on social media and internet presence. It's an important gateway to an artisans work—if people can't easily find you online, you don't exist.

PR is only a part of the equation. Chelsea Miller's success in due in no small part to the hard work she's done, and the quality and uniqueness of the knives she makes for the cooks and collectors that have acquired them—Chelsea's not popular here but some people love her distinctive knives, and it's not just because of her gender. Brooklyn has received a huge amount of press/hype, simply because there was that perfect storm—a location where an energetic creative and forward thinking community made truly great things happen, there was affluence to sustain the culture, geographical proximity to media, and Brooklyn artisans are very social media savvy. Brooklyn is still, deservedly a very happening place—along with L.A. and Portland.

As I said at the start, I love my Marko gyuto—he just needs to work hard on his brand, website, Social Media—and most importantly work on his social skills getting out to meet with well positioned chefs to give traction to his product, etc.

Last edited:
not gonna lie part of his charm i think is his complete lack of interest in the marketing side. it tells me his utmost focus is on his craft. it's a bit old school chef-like in the sense he lets his product speak for itself. it's unfortunate that so many of his customers ask for bling work though, i think this compares to people asking for gold and caviar put on top of lasagna

Last edited:
alterwisser,
Cheers

+1

"Cool hunters" just as bad as the trash in the market place;
I think its important to tread softly without the consent
of the Maker.

not gonna lie part of his charm i think is his complete lack of interest in the marketing side. it tells me his utmost focus is on his craft. it's a bit old school chef-like in the sense he lets his product speak for itself. it's unfortunate that so many of his customers ask for bling work though, i think this compares to people asking for gold and caviar put on top of lasagna

+1

Secondly, Marko's social media presence and branding is awful, really really awful.

• A website. Good examples of cutler websites are: www.haburnknives.com, www.bloodrootblades.com. These are well designed sites, and know how to rock their SEO. A website for artisans these days is "Business 101"—a no brainer for any business wanting to reach beyond "word of mouth" clients. Media is less likely to touch artisans lacking a website. Why give press to someone who can't easily be reached by its readership? Building a website is super easy through companies like Squarespace—one can put together a well designed, functional site in just a few hours—just gotta commit to putting in the work to make it happen,
• A proper email address. His KKF profile says to email "[email protected]," if I didn't know about his knives, I'd consider an email like that to be a scam. Really needs an email like [email protected]. His current email address tells me nothing about him or his craft—very unprofessional, needs to take the business side seriously.
• Social Media presence. Marko needs to get with the program. He has an Instagram account, hasn't posted anything, on his IG he has his website address from which get a message that reads "Looks Like This Domain Isn't Connected To A Website Yet!"—which tells a potential buyer that Tsourkan Knives is possibly out of business.
• Needs to IG more, for better or worse we live in an increasingly fast paced visual culture. Jump on the train or get lost behind. Some of my fave IG feeds are @jknifeimports @sharpandshinyshop, @pcpken, @japanese_knives_collection.
• Marko doesn't need a PR person—he needs better branding, social media and internet presence.
eh, that's Marko :D

Firstly, Marko makes a quality product. I love my Marko gyuto—it's a keeper, a cherished member in my current rotation.

When I teach classes and workshops to grad students, there's a lot of emphasis on social media and internet presence. It's an important gateway to an artisans work—if people can't easily find you online, you don't exist.

PR is only a part of the equation. Chelsea Miller's success in due in no small part to the hard work she's done, and the quality and uniqueness of the knives she makes for the cooks and collectors that have acquired them—Chelsea's not popular here but some people love her distinctive knives, and it's not just because of her gender. Brooklyn has received a huge amount of press/hype, simply because there was that perfect storm—a location where an energetic creative and forward thinking community made truly great things happen, there was affluence to sustain the culture, geographical proximity to media, and Brooklyn artisans are very social media savvy. Brooklyn is still, deservedly a very happening place—along with L.A. and Portland.

As I said at the start, I love my Marko gyuto—he just needs to work hard on his brand, website, Social Media—and most importantly work on his social skills getting out to meet with well positioned chefs to give traction to his product, etc.
Marko is doing just fine without all that crap. And I trust Marko to do what is needed for Marko.

I'm sure he's fine, and my Marko gyuto is one of my faves. Just wanted to give some constructive criticism, everyone can use some. My comment was rooted in hearing on numerous KKF threads rumblings about certain knife makers getting underserved hype in the press—point being, Marko (and others) could and should get recognition for his craft far beyond knife nerd circles.

I'm quite serious and can't emphasize how AWFUL his internet presence is. Just google "Marko Tsourkan," first thing that comes up is Chef Knives To Go, second is Chef Knives To Go, third is KKF, fourth is the JB Prince Facebook page. The messaging is that he no longer makes knives or does not sell knives except through the CKTG or JBP.

More recognition for Marko would make his knives more covetable, and perhaps get him to increase his prices, which would be a good thing.

Marko is doing just fine without all that crap. And I trust Marko to do what is needed for Marko.

Last edited:
Not saying he should, buy that if he did it would be justified.

In a lot of professions—i.e. cooks, cutlers, lawyers, sales people, etc.—if talented, becoming established, gaining recognition can justify hiking up prices/salaries. Professional ambition is not a bad thing. I'm a huge fan of his knives, and would love to see him get more recognition.

Just saying that because of the quality of Marko's handmade knives, a hike in price—with more visibility via internet and press—wouldn't hurt his sales, and would make his knives more accessible because more people would know about them. Objectively speaking, they are a steal, reasonably priced.

Just looking at the comps for high-end knives, even with an increase his knives would still be covetable and of good value.

A basic 240 Marko gyuto, sells for approx. $450-500.
===========================================
Michel Bras 9” santoku (VG10) $569
Shi Han 240 San Mai gyuto $650
Cut Brooklyn 210 gyuto (52100) $650
Bloodroot gyuto from $550+
Chelsea Miller chef knife $800 (+$400 for 2-week delivery)

How is raising prices a good thing? Makes it less accessible and I wouldn't be able to afford another one.

Last edited:
y'all gonna regret this. Nothing is free and why break something that works, may take some time... but it's some of the most perfect work out there.

Let the man be

y'all gonna regret this. Nothing is free and why break something that works, may take some time... but it's some of the most perfect work out there.

Let the man be
Totally agree Antonio

Back