pressure on cutting edge

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cklim55

Reaction score
When sharpening a knife's edge do you apply constant pressure on the cutting edge as you push forward and backward or do you let off the pressure on the stroke back towards you? From the videos it looks like applied pressure on both the forward and backward stroke.

Edge leading apply pressure on the push, then relax on the draw. Edge trailing apply pressure on the draw, and relax on the push.

OP it doesn't really matter. Some videos advise to let off pressure when the knife is moving with the edge forward but that is only done to prevent people with poor sharpening skills from cutting into soft stones. if your stone isn't very soft and you can hold your angle halfway decent you can just go ahead and sharpne without paying too much attention to what pressure you apply when.

Edge leading apply pressure on the push, then relax on the draw. Edge trailing apply pressure on the draw, and relax on the push.

That doesn't make any sense. You are aware that leading and trailing doesn't have anything to do with the edge pointing toward or away from you?

I agree with Josh. It is also a little bit safer this way. But, whatever works for you.

Thanks Geo87 for the link to a thread regarding my question

From what I have read in this forum and viewed on You Tube, it seems that you apply pressure to the cutting edge when pulling or pushing the edge away from the stone. So no pressure when moving the edge into the stone. The videos just seem to show the experienced sharpeners applying constant pressure. I guess you don't want to force the cutting edge into the stone.

From what I have read in this forum and viewed on You Tube, it seems that you apply pressure to the cutting edge when pulling or pushing the edge away from the stone. So no pressure when moving the edge into the stone. The videos just seem to show the experienced sharpeners applying constant pressure. I guess you don't want to force the cutting edge into the stone.

That's correct an experienced sharpener it looks like both ways, but letting up fingerpad pressure when pushing into the stone.

Back