What am I supposed to call this?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I am not sure what I should call this because it is different than anything I have ever see. I cut this from a mud crusted piece I got on the last redwood trip.

The wood has lace figure with no eyes. It's not supposed to be like that.

l001.jpg

Here is a photo with Lace burl in the front and the weird piece in back.

l002.jpg

I need to make up a name for what to call it just in case I find some more redwood like this.

Hmmm... Redwood Lace? Red Lace? Red Lacewood?

-AJ

Lace Redwood burl always has eyes.
So I was trying to come up with a name for this.
Like maybe......Blind Lace since it has no eyes, or.....fishnet lace because the lace figure in this looks like fishnet stockings.
Or maybe just another mutated freak of nature.

I like fishnet lace. Because that's what it looks like!

How about 'Stefan's wood'? :)

Stefan

So far I am leaning towards SpikeC's opinion. "Fishnet Lace".
It was a really beat up piece of wood but if I am able to get several blocks from it, I might be able to name one Stefan's wood.
I like the Freddy Kruger's Face Lace, but not everyone has as good of a sense of humor as we do.

I really like it, but I am broke right now :( So, I gladly give it up for somebody else...

Stefan

Looks like receptors or nerve endings in the brain. Cool!

Mark....Always teasing us....I vote for blind lace as well. That looks kinda creepy...creepy is my favorite :D Let us know when that hits the store....I would be interested in a piece of that.

That looks like some of the H.R. Giger alien looking wood you get from Australia like sheoak.

That looks like some of the H.R. Giger alien looking wood you get from Australia like sheoak.

The figure is very similar to what you get with lace sheoak.
There wasn't very much usable wood from this piece.
But I learned what to watch for on the outside to hopefully find some more.

The fellow I got the recent batch of redwood from had piles of whole stumps and other large pieces about 10 feet high all over a vacant lot.
He recently had to move all the wood to another lot across the highway.
Now all the wood that used to be on the bottom of the piles is on top.
He had been accumulating the redwood over the past 25-30 years.

I need to make another trip out there and spend a whole day digging through the piles.
No telling what I will find.

Sounds like a plan. I suspect that being in the Pacific Northwest helps, but you seem to have more redwood burl than any 3 or 4 other dealers combined that I have seen. Cool looking stuff.
The figure is very similar to what you get with lace sheoak.
There wasn't very much usable wood from this piece.
But I learned what to watch for on the outside to hopefully find some more.

The fellow I got the recent batch of redwood from had piles of whole stumps and other large pieces about 10 feet high all over a vacant lot.
He recently had to move all the wood to another lot across the highway.
Now all the wood that used to be on the bottom of the piles is on top.
He had been accumulating the redwood over the past 25-30 years.

I need to make another trip out there and spend a whole day digging through the piles.
No telling what I will find.

Sounds like a plan. I suspect that being in the Pacific Northwest helps, but you seem to have more redwood burl than any 3 or 4 other dealers combined that I have seen. Cool looking stuff.

That's because we've got connections.
My boss was one of those hippies making redwood burl tables and stuff back in the 60's.
He moved here to SW Oregon from California in the early 80's.
He has had his burl galleries and wood yard here ever since he moved here.
Being in the business so long it seems like every wood guy within a 1000 mile radius knows him.
Whenever any of the wood guys need money they call my boss.
It also doesn't hurt to be located where all the really unusual burls grow.

fire lace, flame lace, lava lace, rutilated lace, stream lace, lovers lace ???- Mark

Latest posts

Back