Quantcast
Drilling Hardened Steel
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drilling Hardened Steel

Drilling Hardened Steel

In one Kramer's video, he drills a handle for a mosaic pin while the blade is in the handle. He uses a milling machine with an automatic downward feed.
    Got me thinking, what bits would one use to for that? Unless Bob softened a tang, the hardness would be around 59RC. Is there a bit that can tackle that hardness?

M

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Carbide springs to mind.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Tungsten Carbide tipped drills do it. Or just spot temper that area before assembling.

Carbide - Del turned me onto them and it's like buttah going through 60Rc steel. If you have a mill or a good drill press you can use solid carbide bits but if you've got a sloppy press with some runout you'll be better off with carbide tipped bits because they'll bend instead of blow up in your face.

So, with solid carbide bits and carbide tipped bits, can you drill through any hardness, say 60-62RC or is there a ceiling?

M

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

The bit just has to be harder than the substrate. Carbides are 80+ hRc so you should be fine.

-AJ

Yeah they should be fine Marko. I've had a few knives with uber hard tangs that got drilled with these bits to 1/4" like it was nothing.

Until they explode. LOL Carbide will cut almost anything, but it is supposedly about as brittle as anything you will ever use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Yeah they should be fine Marko. I've had a few knives with uber hard tangs that got drilled with these bits to 1/4" like it was nothing.

Drillpress should be mandatory for carbide tools. Freehanding is just likely to kill expensive stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ******* View Post
    Until they explode. LOL Carbide will cut almost anything, but it is supposedly about as brittle as anything you will ever use.
    Same advice to prevent anything from exploding before it's time...as slow as possible, lots of lube.

+ Reply to Thread