PDX restaurants

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Moving to Portland this summer! Anyone have any restaurant recommendations? I've been to Pok Pok, Toro Bravo, Clark Lewis, Mucca Osteria, Andina, and a smattering of food carts (nongs khao man gai, Hapa ramen).

A good start but I know there's tons more to try here. What are your favorites?

:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry:

i'll be visiting next weekend!! i love that city. love looking at what the rest of the world is missing in the bicycle world.. disc brakes on cyclo-cross bikes..saw it there first.

my favs.
Screen door (amazing fried chicken)
Gravy (for breakfast. their french toast is blow your head off good..and the corn beef hash..whoa. i want to have it scientifically analyzed for that mystery flavor. i bet it is tarragon)

Salt and Straw. vanilla malt shake. prepare to ruin everything you thought you knew about the lowly vanilla shake. $9 for starters..hahahha.

(for the record POK POK does nothing for me.)

...(for the record POK POK does nothing for me.)...

Dude I'm kind of with ya on Pok Pok. There is a thai spot called lemongrass over on couch that I thought was much better. Small husband/wife joint - more americanized but probably the best take on thai american that I've ever had, and this is from a guy with two degrees from UW who spent 7 years in the u district, with thai restaurants every 2 feet. One thing seattle definitely does not need: more thai food.

I've actually been to screen door and you're right, damn good. I'll check out Gravy!

Paadee/langbaan
Katchka
Fenrir
Ned Ludd
Broder (nord is far easier to not have a wait, especially dinner which is equally awesome)
Navarre
Ox
Biwa
Old salt
James john
Angel face
Peoples pig
Saraveza
Upright brewing
Racion if you're into the style
Le pigeon
Levant
Laurelhurst market
Stammtisch
Coopers hall

Paadee/langbaan
Katchka
Fenrir
Ned Ludd
Broder (nord is far easier to not have a wait, especially dinner which is equally awesome)
Navarre
Ox
Biwa
Old salt
James john
Angel face
Peoples pig
Saraveza
Upright brewing
Racion if you're into the style
Le pigeon
Levant
Laurelhurst market
Stammtisch
Coopers hall

wow ok I haven't even heard of most of these, must be off the beaten path which is great. Thanks for the thoughtful recommendations.

wow ok I haven't even heard of most of these, must be off the beaten path which is great. Thanks for the thoughtful recommendations.

me too!!

scribbled a few down myself. i heard that Le Pigeon place is very good. the rest are totally unknown to me. thanks Pleue!

Congrats on the Move Chiffonodd.. moving is both great and sucky at the same time...haha.

me too!!

scribbled a few down myself. i heard that Le Pigeon place is very good. the rest are totally unknown to me. thanks Pleue!

Congrats on the Move Chiffonodd.. moving is both great and sucky at the same time...haha.

Ya it can be a pain but I'm real excited. Coming from Seattle it's not that big of a change, but a fun new scene to check out. What's NOT going to be fun is the job search - there's not a lot of industry here to push the post-recession recovery. I work in the public legal sector and jobs are scarce. But The fiancee's in grad school down here now so here goes nothing!

It is a great town though so that'll make up for everything once the job's squared away.

lmao, you cannot be serious. There is a world outside the US, you know.

no, i was not serious.

and mountain biking WAS invented in the USA.

i was riffing on the fact that Portland is bike friendly to the nth degree...guess you had to be there.

check out Beast

funny you mention it. i did eat there last time.

i kinda think the owner lady is hot..and was hoping to see her running the show. nope..day off. maybe filming "knife fight" or something.

food was good. the theatrics of the meal was better. fun place. i like how they get strangers to interact.

Reviving this thread as I will be in PDX come Thursday (8/18) for the weekend. A lot of great recommendations (thx all) here so likely don't need more just wondering if there are any current favorites or updates to the list.

Thx TJA

Le Bistro Montage under the Morrison Bridge is a fun after the show late night spot. Open very late on weekends.

New spots to check out

Coquine
Renata
Nodoguro if you want fancy interesting Japanese
Tusk is opening soon

Belmont station is good for beers or beer mongers

Lots of breweries.

Hit me up via pm if you want a tailored list

I hope your visit went well. Let us know what you found and thought of Stumptown.

I hope your visit went well. Let us know what you found and thought of Stumptown.

Sorry for taking so long to follow up …

City – fun, easy to get around, lots to do and found parking very easy … Weather could have been more ‘normal’ as it was a very, very hot stay … some of the restaurants were not prepared for that but hey it's Portland ... > 100 F every day ... no rain though ...

Had a chance to run up and see Ian/Haburn’s workshop & meeting him in person was awesome and really a great experience … thx Ian! … will definitely do that again if in the area (this time)!

Food:

Paadee/langbaan – excellent but it was bloody HOT that night which was, unfortunately, a bit distracting … but really appreciated the level of work / food & service was on point. Highly recommend …

Cabezon – referred to this place by a friend and really, really enjoyed it … solid …

Pizza: Apizza Scholls – excellent pizza and very cool people ….

Breakfast: Gravy – excellent local place / highly recommend …

Salt & Straw – a bit of a wait but fun & creative ice cream selections … I had some corn ice cream shake & my better half just had a sugar comma … everything was really good

Will be back when I have more time and can take it in … Maybe to a certain Pacific NW Gathering …

Just want to say a big thank you for everyone’s suggestions and input – much appreciated and so many great choices / well thought out!

TjA

Glad you had a nice visit! Sorry you hit the town at a fairly rare heat spell. I haven't been yet but I have several friends who swear by Apizza Scholls. I hope you are able to visit in the cooler light rainy season (ie- the other 75% of the year).

Cheers,
rj

Back