Mizuno gyuto geometry suitable for leftys?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im taking a pretty hard look at the Miz Hontanren series wa gyutos that JCK carries http://japanesechefsknife.com/HontanrenSeries.html#Hontanren
Im speaking with Koki about potentially ordering a left handed version of this gyuto, which cost substantially more. Does anybody have a choil shot or some thoughts about whether or not the regular Miz gyutos are comfortable enough for left handed users? Im sure a specially ordered lefty gyuto might be a tad nicer for me, but if the difference is nothing drastic i would rather save the extra cash and just buy a regular one in stock. Thanks.
Oh, FWIW I actually owned a Miz gyuto several years ago...and I cant for the life of me remember really any of the details about it :biggrin: I was happy with the profile and the edge retention...thats all i remember.

To the best of my knowledge that knife just needs a lefty D handle. I believe you have that option for the same price. No?

To the best of my knowledge that knife just needs a lefty D handle. I believe you have that option for the same price. No?

right. I can order the Miz with a lefty d shape for no additional charge. However, there is also an option at the top of the page for a "left handed version to be special ordered" which takes on an additional fee.

I have the right handed version BTW.

Very nice knife.

I have had that knife for seven years now, bought stock from Koki. And I am, for my sins, left handed. I can tell you that it makes no difference whatsoever. I wouldn't even worry about the handle.

If you are super picky and you perceive a % grind favoring the right side (I never saw it) then it is no big deal to simply change that small degree in sharpening. And it is a lot of fun to sharpen that knife!

I have had that knife for seven years now, bought stock from Koki. And I am, for my sins, left handed. I can tell you that it makes no difference whatsoever. I wouldn't even worry about the handle.

If you are super picky and you perceive a % grind favoring the right side (I never saw it) then it is no big deal to simply change that small degree in sharpening. And it is a lot of fun to sharpen that knife!

I am not super picky in this regard at all. Ive used numerous knives that were supposed favor right handed users and usually I dont have issues. The only reason I ask is because JCK has that option at the top of the page so I just wanted to make sure there wasnt some wild asymmetry before I order. And yes, I dont have issues at all using righty d shape handles, but considering they will adjust the handle for a lefty free of charge I will probably take advantage of that.

hey i went to the URL as i do not remember as to the sharpening grind . Well, it states 50:50 grind for the gyuto and that there is no extra charge for a lefty D handle.( click in handle box selector)

http://japanesechefsknife.com/HontanrenSeries.html#Hontanren
Hv fun..

Oh wow. I did not notice the 50/50 grind info. Yes the lefty adjustment for the d shape handle is free of charge, but my only concern was for the " Left Handed Version must be special ordered" line at the very top of the page. In any event, I feel safe just getting a regular stock Miz now. Thanks for all the help guys.

I'm pretty sure it's still fairly asymmetric (~70/30) they just list the edge bevel as 50/50...still shouldn't be an issue as I'm betting you've probably used more righty's than lefty's:)

My only problem is they seem to run a bit short...love the profile.

I'm pretty sure it's still fairly asymmetric (~70/30) they just list the edge bevel as 50/50...still shouldn't be an issue as I'm betting you've probably used more righty's than lefty's:)

My only problem is they seem to run a bit short...love the profile.

Im a 240-250mm guy usually so whenever I get one Ill just grab a 270mm. Koki already confirmed that I could get one with a 255mm edge length. Which is the sweet spot for me I think :)

Just got an email from Koki if anyone is interested.

RE: Mizuno 270mm gyuto Akitada Hontanren Series (Genuine Forged Series, Blue Steel No.2)
Koki Iwahara 6:30 AM Keep this message at the top of your inbox

Thank you very much for waiting update with patience.

Yes. We received update from Mizuno Tanrenjo on today.

Master Mizuno explains that GF-29R Wa Gyuto 270mm has 50/50 blade grind angle and 50/50 edge shape, therefore both Right Hander and Left Hander can use it without any problem and Master Mizuno does not make left handed version.

GF-29R is suitable for left hand users and if you would like, Mizuno Tanrejo will adjust the D Shaped Handle adjusted for left hander too.

My Miz 240 is 50-50. I ordered the octagonal handle, which you should consider if you want lefty-friendly but easier to re-sell.

I also have the 270. Somehow the length and weight makes it a different knife. I would not buy it again...

Can someone post a choil shot please? I have to see the fifty/fifty grind to believe it.

Is the cladding reactive in these knives?

yes. when it was new, it reacted instantly to onions. it has since taken on a light gray patina and it does not react much at all anymore during a normal home prep session, even without immediate wiping.

I'm following this thread with interest. Been tempted by the Miz Honyaki and had previously considered the Swedish stainless. I like the markings on the side they use to match Carter and Takeda. It's one thing to have an edge 50/50 but the grind is another.

tjangula, The stainless mizunos might have a different grind altogether. I believe they are a bit thinner and lighter based on the specs posted on JCK.

It is indeed abt 50:50 and furthermore.. the edge bevel is very small indeed . less than 1 mm. I wouldnt even call it a "bevel face". If you prefer a less blade heavy knife.. it pays to get an ebony handle.

rgds
d

The original Mizuno Honyakis are noticeably more asymmetric than the more recent ones. I think the new stock would be fine for a lefty. The beastly original gangster Mizuno Honyakis not so much.

as requested.. choil shot taken with mobile phone. Hope tht it works..
rgds D

Back