Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leather, Balsa, or Scrub Bull?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond G Knives View Post
    What Im refering to is the leather that actually meets the road. As in Leather soled dress shoes or boots. It is a bit courser (hold compound better) it is preshrunk and pressed (denser) Only problem is it may be harder to find in useable size.

Ill let you know what I find out, Im going to see my shoe repair guy Monday!

God Bless
    Mike
    Well, it'd need to fit the same criteria!

I wasn't aware anyone actually wore shoes with leather *bottoms*. #poorguy

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    ...I wasn't aware anyone actually wore shoes with leather *bottoms*. #poorguy
    Huh?

As for leather belts, Pierre... Why did you choose chromium oxide?

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Huh?
    I mean just that. I've never seen shoes that have anything other than rubber or something similar on the bottom. I didn't know shoes ever had leather on the outside where it touches the ground. I imagine those can't be cheap.

Now I am going to be stropping on the bottom of my cowboy boots!

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Huh?

As for leather belts, Pierre... Why did you choose chromium oxide?
    No reason, it was the first thing I grabbed. For the price of the belts, I will likely grab a couple more. What would your recomendation for compounds be?

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Honestly, I don't know. I've been thinking about trying the grinder-strop option so I was digging for info.

The belt is thin, very smooth. The edge it left is stupit sharp, and a little toothy. Effortlessly shaves hair. If you slide your thumb to test the edge like you would for a hunting knife or pocket knife, it feels sharp, but if you run your finger along the edge, you feel the teeth... as it slips through your skin! I want to do one belt with .5 or .25 micron diamond. To me I have better control with angle, on the grinder, if I strop on a pad, I know I rock a bit, no muscle memory yet! The VFD makes it sweet!

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Quote Originally Posted by PierreRodrigue View Post
    The VFD makes it sweet!
    As I am sure it does with everything.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    I mean just that. I've never seen shoes that have anything other than rubber or something similar on the bottom. I didn't know shoes ever had leather on the outside where it touches the ground. I imagine those can't be cheap.
    Really? Just go to any better department store that sells men's dress clothes and they'll have plenty of dress shoes w/ all leather outsoles. Plenty of cowboy boot makers out there too. Lucchese is just one of them. Used to be once upon a time, before the advent of petroleum based and other synthetics, that almost all boots and shoes were made that way. For leather soled dress shoes and dress cowboy boots you have to scuff up the sole quite a bit otherwise it's like walking on greased glass. Of course you can also have any textured rubber outsole product you want glued on by a cobbler to give better traction and protect the leather. There are many, many makers of leather outsoled footwear from all over the world and all manner of footwear.