Quantcast
60 year old cleave 1 - ptolemy 0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 60 year old cleave 1 - ptolemy 0

60 year old cleave 1 - ptolemy 0

This is my grandmother's cleaver. I think she got it in 1952, when she got married and never sharpened it since.

Last few years when she used it, she just used it to cut up very soft things to mix. It is actually duller than anything else.

I have tried attackingwith 240 grit to no avail. Today I spent good 30 min with 140grit stone, made a nice slurry, and nothing!

Is there a chance to do this without actually getting a powertool involved?

Here is how it looks (I have no idea what steel it is either)

Thanks for advice

I had one of my dads prestige schimitar butcher knives. Hasn't been sharpened in 30 years. 5 and a half hours on a 120 grit stone. It took forever. Maybe 9 hours of sharpening. Then maybe an hour and a half on a 320 then just the regular progression up to two thousand.

It took forever and luckily it was on a dull rainy weekend but this thing is sharp now!

Short of getting a 120 belt grinder I'm not sure what else you could do. DMT XXC?

Quote Originally Posted by jm2hill View Post
    I had one of my dads prestige schimitar butcher knives. Hasn't been sharpened in 30 years. 5 and a half hours on a 120 grit stone. It took forever. Maybe 9 hours of sharpening. Then maybe an hour and a half on a 320 then just the regular progression up to two thousand.

It took forever and luckily it was on a dull rainy weekend but this thing is sharp now!

Short of getting a 120 belt grinder I'm not sure what else you could do. DMT XXC?
    hell, i was thinking maybe using a dremel to take some off and then try 120 again....i spend good hour and didnt even see any reaction besides removal of patina

A dremel will just create a hollow grind, and even more issues.
    I'd go belt grinder, if I were you.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by ptolemy View Post
    hell, i was thinking maybe using a dremel to take some off and then try 120 again....i spend good hour and didnt even see any reaction besides removal of patina
    Dremel may not be a bad idea but you would have to be very very very careful to keep it only on the edge. With a very light touch. I'd be nervous to put a hole right through! Otherwise your looking at thinning steel above the edge as well then reprofiling the cleaver. Which if your comfortable with is definitely do able.

otherwise belt grinder or lots of time on the stone seem the best idea

Dave could do it in 5 min

indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    Dave could do it in 5 min

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post

indeed
    Oh ya, Dave will get it done

This is an old cleaver so was kinda a project for me to try to revive, so sending it to Dave would defeat the purpose. I also don't have a belt grinder.

Hmmmm, I have to think about it

I feel you there. A lady at work had a SS cleaver and it was DULL. I told her that I sharpen knives and such and for people who want to use me that I always to the first knife free, if you like it then the next one well work out a payment. But anyway, It took me an hour using a 300 or 400 stone (can't remember its a Norton cheep stone) the damn thing seemed to have never been thinned, it had been sharpened before by the guy who does our knives at the restaurant (please don't get me started) and as I said, it was fully dull to the point where she didn't really use it because of it. So after the hour long session, I finally had enough material off of it (I also took away a lot of old metal that was fatigued) then I was able to move up to my King 1.2 green brick and sanyo 6k. The last three was only about maybe 10 minutes per stone (had to make a good impression When all was said and done it could push cut paper no problem and I really didn't want to see that damn thing again. Took it back and she was very happy, it was then that she told me that it hadn't been properly sharpened in about 8 years. She then told me that she had a carbon clever that needed it to. Am I just a glutton for punishment? Oh how I feel your pain. But for that I'm thinking XXC or belt grinder (if you can borrow one from a friend)