Quantcast
60 year old cleave 1 - ptolemy 0 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 60 year old cleave 1 - ptolemy 0

Ryan's probably got three of them in a shoebox somewhere.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

In work we have something that looks basically the same as that, but it is English. We ust it exclusively for chopping lamb racks and anything else that requires cutting through bones. I would never try and sharpen it, but it is used for bones anyway so it doesn't need to be super sharp

Three possible solutions to even the edge, which is the first you must do:

1. Use a drill and a rough wheel, cooling frequently in cold water to preserve the temper. You need some tool experience to do this.
    2. Run the edge over rough wet-dry sand paper. You can use a piece of wood to hold the sandpaper and run it over the edge until you get a nice curve.
    3. Run a file through the edge. Idem.

The you can begin to sharpen as you like. Convex 50/50 may be the best choice here.

True. Meat cleavers are a lot nicer to use with a rounder edge. You definitely don't want/need it shaving sharp.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Can you have a close-up of the logo on that cleaver? It looks like it's in Cyrillic and one of the words is ОКТЯБРь and the other a fragment what I think is ОДЕССА. This might be a much older cleaver than you think.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Meat cleavers should have a convex edge if at all possible. Taking out damage or re=setting bevels on thick cleavers by hand is a really tough job that I'll never do again. The hardest are the really old cast steel cleavers like Beattys.

I'd love to hear more about the mark and the history of where this might have come from and who made it.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Just thinking back, brings a lot of good memories. The reason I am fairly confident about the age is because she got a set of pots/pans at her wedding too (cast iron, which she used for 50+ years too). The mark on the cleaver and it is indeed says October in Cyrillic, which I think is likely the brand name, and Odessa, is where it was made. My Grandmother lived all her life there and as a child I spent a lot of time there as well.
    Now, whether the cleaver was given new or old, I have no idea but I know she used it for 2 dishes. One was to chop through the rib bones and then slowly stew them (my grandmother was a huge fan) and then make an eggplant dish, which my mother still loves.

Here is the close up picture of the log and if someone wants to just have a first hand look at it or try to play with fixing it I can mail it over. After thinking last night I came to likely obviously conclusion that I will never get it fixed by hand.

Are there many Russian knife brands made in Russia? This is something I know nothing about.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Are there many Russian knife brands made in Russia? This is something I know nothing about.
    That's a good question. This is old brand in the USSR era, so who knows if there is anything left of it. But, as far as knife brands, I am sure there are many. Better question is, how is the quality and whether it's even forged. Also, what steels they use and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    True. Meat cleavers are a lot nicer to use with a rounder edge. You definitely don't want/need it shaving sharp.
    But it's so much more fun when they are

+ Reply to Thread