how often to sharpen?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King920

Reaction score
How often should i run my gyuto across the wet stones? Is this an every now and then hone or what?

Christian:cheffry:

I should add that i'm just a home cook that uses my knife 3-4 times a week. It's VG10

Shoot, given a good cutting board, you could go 1-2 months with a good sharpening job. You should still maintain it somehow between sharpenings. How often do you do it now?

Ha actually... never, since my knife is still in the mail. Just getting into all this stuff and planning ahead. From reading these forums it seems that everybody is pretty obsessed (in a good way) with sharpening their knives. Gave me an impression that is was a once a week thing. Thanks for the response.

Gave me an impression that is was a once a week thing.

It is. But you said "should", like "what is necessary". That really doesn't factor into it a lot around here. :tongue2:

Some home cooks like to cook on an occasional basis, and only like the feeling of a fresh-off-the-stone edge.

The truth is, it depends on so much--what you are cutting, your cutting board(most important external factor), the heat treat the blade got, how well it is sharpened and deburred, if edge maintenance is done properly, how sharp you want it, what kind of sharp you want it, and your cutting style. It's different for everyone.

I am a home cook who also cooks about 4-5 times a week and I sharpen my every day beater gyuto once every couple of months. However when I first started sharpening I was sharpening it every couple of weeks but now I have gotten to the point where my edges last much longer. The best advice I ever received was just sharpen it when it isn't sharp enough for you anymore.

my advice would be to sharpen as often as possible until you are comfortable with sharpening first. When you are good with varying degrees/angles, grits, progressions, strops, honing. Then you would best be able to determine yourself when your knife needs a touch up or when it needs to hit the stones. practice, practice, practice.

It is. But you said "should", like "what is necessary". That really doesn't factor into it a lot around here. :tongue2:

Some home cooks like to cook on an occasional basis, and only like the feeling of a fresh-off-the-stone edge.

The truth is, it depends on so much--what you are cutting, your cutting board(most important external factor), the heat treat the blade got, how well it is sharpened and deburred, if edge maintenance is done properly, how sharp you want it, what kind of sharp you want it, and your cutting style. It's different for everyone.

Well I'll just figure it out as i go along. i have quite a bit to learn

I am a home cook who also cooks about 4-5 times a week and I sharpen my every day beater gyuto once every couple of months. However when I first started sharpening I was sharpening it every couple of weeks but now I have gotten to the point where my edges last much longer. The best advice I ever received was just sharpen it when it isn't sharp enough for you anymore.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Ha, hopefully my standards don't keep increasing

Back