Made some cheese boards and coasters!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b2kk258

Reaction score
So the wifey's family is in the natural stone business and I decided to take some left over materials and make some cool cheese boards and coasters. I want your opinion and criticisms so please let me know what you think!

10320256_457934717704402_7237564130535484860_n.jpg

10470195_457934091037798_8282623288554194552_n.jpg

10405508_457934081037799_2331608673179718322_n.jpg

1974977_457933781037829_8158307077976361762_n.jpg

11148535_457933591037848_2679925497995284292_o.jpg

On a side note, I used 3m plastic/rubber feet on the bottom. However, I didn't think they would stay on so I used gorilla glue. But the glue expanded and came out messy. Anyone have any suggestions for alternative adhesives?

Actually, it only takes a few minutes to make a board. But it's hard to keep the stones from chipping. I ended up tossing 6-7 boards in the process of making only 4. :cheffry:

Plz specify the cheeses and the sausages ;) . This makes me hungry...

The Cheese: Grafton Village - 3yr Cheddar
The Sausage: Spicy Chorizo - from a local shope
The Prosciutto: From NYC or NJ?

Like the boards.

The coasters not so much. I would drop one within 5 min of using one. It would land on my toe. I would say bad things.

My problem with using coasters is that they usually stick to the bottom of the glass and then fall off.
So the idea of the stone coaster sounds like a good one. Might want to back them with felt or cork to prevent scratching though.

I can understand Dave's comments as well.
You have to remember he is in Florida and they don't wear shoes there.

My problem with using coasters is that they usually stick to the bottom of the glass and then fall off.
So the idea of the stone coaster sounds like a good one. Might want to back them with felt or cork to prevent scratching though.

I can understand Dave's comments as well.
You have to remember he is in Florida and they don't wear shoes there.

Oh, I put rubber feet on the bottom of the coasters!

:lol2: No shoes in Florida

... I used gorilla glue. But the glue expanded and came out messy. Anyone have any suggestions for alternative adhesives?
The expansion/filling properties of polyurethanes is considered a feature, like with loose/sloppy production joinery. You can minimize it by using minimal glue and keeping it clamped while it cures.

For this application, yeah, not the ideal choice.

Epoxies are usually good for joining dissimilar materials. JB Weld is great for many strange and wonderful fabrications/repairs. But they're kind of a hassle too.

I've had good luck joining dissimilar materials with DAP KWIK SEAL. It's waterproof when cured. But uncured, it cleans up easily with water. The clear also goes on white then dries clear, making clean up even easier and the final look very neat. And it's easy to find any hardware store.

sr.

The expansion/filling properties of polyurethanes is considered a feature, like with loose/sloppy production joinery. You can minimize it by using minimal glue and keeping it clamped while it cures.

For this application, yeah, not the ideal choice.

Epoxies are usually good for joining dissimilar materials. JB Weld is great for many strange and wonderful fabrications/repairs. But they're kind of a hassle too.

I've had good luck joining dissimilar materials with DAP KWIK SEAL. It's waterproof when cured. But uncured, it cleans up easily with water. The clear also goes on white then dries clear, making clean up even easier and the final look very neat. And it's easy to find any hardware store.

sr.

Thank You! I'll have to pick up some dap kwik seal. I was extremely unhappy about the finish using gorilla glue.

Impressive, I like the coasters, I could see my glass of whiskey sitting on one of those right now.

Oh, I was thinking about making matching whisky stones for the coasters too! I'll have to give that a try this weekend

Back