Shapton Pro 220 or 320?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark76

Reaction score
I've got an Atoma 140 and a Shapton Pro 1K stone. (And then a 2K and a 5K.) I'm looking for a Shapton Pro stone in between the Atoma and the 1K. It could be the 220 or the 320.

• 220. Advantage: probably easier to wipe out the scratches from the Atoma. Disadvantage (?): isn't the jump to the 1K too large?
  • 320. Advantage: less of a jump to the 1K. Disadvantage (?): probably takes more time to wipe out the scratches from the Atoma.
I will mainly be using these stones for thinning kives. For sharpening the edges I use a Wicked Edge.

Which of these two stones would you get and why?

ive owned both shapton pros and would suggest the 320, which is plenty fast, a lot faster then a chosera 400 for example. i also have an atoma 140 and think the 320 is fast enough to wipe out atomas scratches. i sold the 220 because it was to coarse and also dished a lot faster then the 320.

You can also get finer grade Atoma's they come in 400 & 600. Either will take the scatches out from the 140. And you can jump to a medium water stone.

Back