Quantcast
* Remedy Damascus - $400
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: * Remedy Damascus - $400

* Remedy Damascus - $400

Since Im not allowed to link to this site on this forum, here is copy from site:

Richmond Remedy Damascus Wa-Gyuto 240mm. We're working on producing the Richmond Remedy with Devin Thomas Bubble Wrap Damascus.

$399.95

As many of you I have no trouble with Mark, but this got my attention to day. Will this affect the custom knifemarket and the custom knifemakers? I cant imagine how a maker can match the pricing from Mark.

What do you guys think?

No comment
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Dumping.

The more I see, the more I am getting convinced that this is not about competition and business opportunity, but an attempt to push others out who don't sell through CKTG.

MR is willing to take a small or no profit but to make sure the others can't compete. If you call it competition, you are kidding yourself.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

People who would buy this knife are probably not in the same category as those who would buy a semi or full on custom knife. It would be like saying, "Now that Mazda has the Miata, that will mark the end of the Porsche Boxster." We're not going to get into the fact that the Miata came out years before the Boxster, but you should get my point.

Who's going to make it?

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    Who's going to make it?
    Lamson & Goodnow.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

Yeah, naming it after yourself and giving it a (stupid) nickname. anyone can buy DT damascus, but who is making the knife is the real question. anyone out there want to stand up and take credit?
    Bert M.

Why?! Because footballs don't have wheels!

It devalues work of others. Here is a simple mathematics. It cost MR about $100 (all cost included: steel, HT, grinding, handle, engraving, shipping between processes) to produce his Addict and he sells it for $150 - price includes shipping and payment processing. So, he is taking a profit of just a $40 (approximately) on a knife. At the same time he gets his Japanese knives at a wholesale prices that are 40-50% of what he retails them. Which one makes more business sense?

For people who are not knowledgeable, Remedy Damascus will look very similar to DT custom damascus or D. Ealy custom damascus, etc. and price point will play a deciding role. That is what MR is betting on.

Chinese have done it and look where US manufacturing is these days. Back than it was hailed like a great idea, globalization was to be a great thing. Well, what we got is a market flooded with cheap imitations and most quality makers moved manufacturing overseas or went out of business. I am looking for vintage American made machines some over 50 old, as they are better in quality than what you can buy these days new. Or look what Levi's jeans are these days! This is a consequence of dumping (or so called competition) and you as a buyer will eventually have a taste of that too.

History does repeat itself.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Chinese have done it and look where US manufacturing is these days.
    The Chinese had nothing to do with the failure of US manufacturing. That started long before the Chinese came into the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Seb View Post
    The Chinese had nothing to do with the failure of US manufacturing. That started long before the Chinese came into the picture.
    You think? Compare the cost of production (even with high US worker productivity and high capital investment), Chinese currency manipulation, quality control, and so forth.

And thought I agree there is more than one factor that contributed to decline, foreign competition (unfair competition that is) plays an important role. But I don't want to turn this into a discussion about decline of US manufacturing. I used it as an example as many can relate to it, and you can to read more about it if you like.

http://www.cbo.gov/doc.cfm?index=5078&type=0

M