Trustworthy online knife retailers

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notnilcjames

Reaction score
Hello People, I just have a quick question about a company called "Japanese Chef Knives" .com. Are they a reliable company to purchase knives from? I wish to get some "saji" and "mr itou' custom blades and these guys seem to have the best selection. Just hoping that it is not too good to be true before I send my hard earned cash into the abyss and end up with no knives! Any information from people who have purchased from this particular online retailer would but much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Clint.

7$ flat rate worlwide shipping and it's the fastest shipping among all the vendors that I've tried so far.

At the end of january I tried to order a Masamoto KS Gyuto from JCK. My order went through, but Koki e-mailed me telling me that knife unfortunatley was out of stock. The order was cancelled and I got my money back via Paypal, no problems there. Two weeks ago I got an e-mail that the Masamoto was back in stock. I placed an order and some days later I got this:

https://drive.google.com/folderview...QwNXdULVBOM0FJdEU3LTVmN0V2N3dqQm8&usp=sharing

Very happy with JCK service, although the web site is a bit confusing at times. :)

When I first came across JCK I was a bit skeptical partially because the website looked out of date (compared to some others) and because I was unsure about ordering from Japan to Canada. I ordered a couple cheaper Hattori FH knives and have been going back ever since. I've probably ordered at least 10 times.

At the end of january I tried to order a Masamoto KS Gyuto from JCK. My order went through, but Koki e-mailed me telling me that knife unfortunatley was out of stock. The order was cancelled and I got my money back via Paypal, no problems there. Two weeks ago I got an e-mail that the Masamoto was back in stock. I placed an order and some days later I got this:

https://drive.google.com/folderview...QwNXdULVBOM0FJdEU3LTVmN0V2N3dqQm8&usp=sharing

Very happy with JCK service, although the web site is a bit confusing at times. :)

How do you find the grind and bevel on the KS? I've heard it's both 50/50 and 70/30 so don't know what to believe. Also read the back side is much flatter so it wouldn't be great for a lefty like me.

One of the oldest retailers selling from Japan to non-Japan buyers. The prices are reasonable, though in some cases you can buy for better prices in Japan. The added costs, no doubt, go into some of the added care (option to choose your handles, etc) as well as the good deal on ems shipping, much like with other retailers who offer deals on shipping but naturally make up for their costs by increasing their item prices.

Thanks everyone for all the information!! I will be placing my order ASAP and cant wait until I can use my new blades.

If you decide to come back and share pics of what you picked up, I'm sure no one here would mind. I don't think you'll find a more agreeable crowd when it comes to showing off knife purchases.

Yeah the site looks a little old and it runs kinda slow but the service is outstanding. Koki is very helpful if you have any questions as well

it's great for non-US countries because of the flat shipping

I never understood why shipping from US to Canada can cost so damn much

it's great for non-US countries because of the flat shipping

I never understood why shipping from US to Canada can cost so damn much

As said above, you pay a bit for the shipping directly (what, is it $10?), and the rest is covered by the seller (through somewhat higher than normal prices for your knives or stones). EMS is what's used, and they're pretty good and inexpensive from Japan.

Not sure why people think Koki's prices are high. It's cheaper to buy a Mizuno Hontanren Blue#2 gyuto from JCK than it is direct from Mizuno for example. He's also cheaper than the US distributor. He doesn't change his prices in line with currency fluctuations either. Sure, you can play Rakuten roulette to save a few bucks, but is it really worth it? (thinking of those subpar KS's that surfaced a while back).

I'll never understand penny-pinching, buying from an unknown source and ignoring the value of customer service, personally.

I have bought more than 10 times from him.
He is a true gentleman.
Very polite, well informed, he will search to answer any question.
Excellent professional!

Not sure why people think Koki's prices are high. It's cheaper to buy a Mizuno Hontanren Blue#2 gyuto from JCK than it is direct from Mizuno for example. He's also cheaper than the US distributor. He doesn't change his prices in line with currency fluctuations either. Sure, you can play Rakuten roulette to save a few bucks, but is it really worth it? (thinking of those subpar KS's that surfaced a while back).

I might have been the only one who's said the prices aren't the cheapest, but I didn't say expensive either; I said prices were pretty reasonable but not the cheapest. My price comparisons have been with normal sellers in Japan, including offline shops, where there are a wide variety of pricings. I don't deal with Ratuken myself, but when I have checked even some of the prices via Ratuken aren't the best. Also, as a general rule, for some reason if you check for direct prices from bigger makers like Mizuno, the prices are quite high and not the best deal. But definitely, unless you can visit or have connections to Japan, JCK seems a great seller to buy from.

I wasn't having a go at you Asterger, if it came across that way I apologise. My first knives were bought in Japan, and I agree with you on that front. I have also bought from JNS, JKI and Korin - all exemplary vendors too. For us forumites not in the US (former US expat here!) JCK is a particularly attractive option.

Has anyone used chubo? They also charge 7 bucks flat for inernational orders..

Back