Quantcast
Etching Damascus - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Etching Damascus

Quote Originally Posted by Delbert Ealy View Post
    Aj,
    My regular etch is deep enough to feel the topography, in other words over .001 inch deep.
    Del
    Fascinating! At least to me.

-AJ

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    I would love to see the flats etched and the bevel polished.That would be a unique look.
    I gotta admit that could look pretty cool if done right.

When I first started getting into custom knives, I met an ABS master smith by the name of Robbie Hudson at the Guild Show in Orlando in the early 90's. He was a protege of Bill Moran and was known for stuff like extremely complex multi bar damascus Viking and Persian style daggers and big sweeping profile bowies. One some of his damascus blades, the edges were a flame pattern and quite shiny. I wondered for a number of years how he did that and when I actually started making knives, one of the other makers told me that he would draw those patterns on the edge with some kind of resist like nail polish and when the damascus was etched, the edge would stay flat and mirror polished. Some guys do that today to make high relief designs on the blade and others put resist on their makers mark like I do with my new mark so it stays shiny and legible. That would be the easiest way to do what you are talking about and you could choose the shape of the tranistion between the etched and unetched parts of the blade.
    I would love to see the flats etched and the bevel polished.That would be a unique look.

Reminds of one of the Yoshikane's Marko had.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Marukoyoshi KU damascus suji is here!

I must admit that I am very impressed with this knife. The blade is straight and thin, the grind is outstanding and workmanship impeccable.

You guys might not know, but many traditional smiths rarely show their craft at its best, as they forced to produce less expensive knives to compete with mass produced knives, but if paid fairly, many of these folks can really surprise you.

I borrowed a handle for the pictures from another suji. This knife will feature a Macassar ebony handle with a single spacer and will be available for sale shortly.

M
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

+ Reply to Thread