Mothers Day Knife Gift

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgord009

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a knife for my mother. I dont have a large budget but she really needs a good knives. Her current knives are dull and impossible to use. Thanks!

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Chef’s Knife

Are you right or left handed? Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Doesn’t matter

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 6 or 8’’

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) Doesn’t matter

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? $50-60

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) Everyday use, cutting vegetables, meats, fish.

What knife, if any, are you replacing? Really crappy old ones

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) No

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) N/A

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) Something significantly sharper and easier to handle.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? N/A

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? Lighter

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? Easy to cut, chop,slice

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? As long as possible

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) wood/synthetic

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.) No

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)No

Wusties don't suck. But. If I was buying an inexpensive, $50ish knife for someone I would pick up a Victorinox - also avail at Amazon. If you can reach deep enough to go $100 then some good, entry level, Japanese knives become available. My favorites in this group are the Gesshin Stainless from Japanese Knife Imports and Suisin Western Inox (stainless) from Korin. Lot of love here for the Torijo (sp?) OP as well.

Suggest you limit your choices to to stainless or semi-stainless, as carbon can and WILL rust without proper care.

Tojiro DP 210mm is available on Amazon for ~ $52, but Victorinox might take more abuse for a few $$ less.

Edit: speel moar gud

Dude! I know the perfect knife!

My long suffering, selfless mom never asked a thing from me until she used my $39 Lee Valley peasant chef knife....then, it was hers....immediately. IMHO, they're better ground, better steel, better heat treated than the sabatiers that inspired them. The handle is a bit comfy, if a bit handle heavy--bubinga? Some indestructable stuff. It's every bit the equal of much more expensive knives, and will wipe the pants off any victorinox or wustoff. I truly thhink that they were designed by Rob Lee or Leonard Lee as a present to his mom. FWIW, Lee Valley makes some of the best blades for woodworking and handplanes.

<edit>It's $36.50

The Tanaka knife looks nice, and I've heard great reports about them.

If you're near an ikea they have a knife called a slitbar that's fifty bucks and is a pretty nice knife. The blade is Damascus steel, which is that wavy pattern made by the way the blade is forged. Looks fancy, nice gift.

If you're near an ikea they have a knife called a slitbar that's fifty bucks and is a pretty nice knife. The blade is Damascus steel, which is that wavy pattern made by the way the blade is forged. Looks fancy, nice gift.

I have handled three of those at my nearest IKEA, all three had blades that were seriously overground (concave) and didn't touch the cutting board over three inches. Useless. Maybe you are lucky an can get another batch, but definitly look at the blade first before you buy one.

Back