So I started collecting, my first Shigefusa

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zweber12

Shig Lord
Reaction score
Two months ago I picked up a Takeda AS N Gyoto 240mm and today this baby arrived today straight from Japan; a Shigefusa Kitaeji 135mm Wa Petty. Simply stunning, the details, the finish on both blade and handle and smooth cutting. Surely this will not be the only Shigefusa in my growing collection!

shig2.jpg

Did that come direct from Shigefusa? Haven't seen that box before.

Ordered the knife from a small cutlery shop in Tokyo, which had several models in stock. I used a Japanese friend to help with the communication.

A couple months after my last gallery post, a short update my humble Shigefusa collection. Mute-on is right, once you start, it is hard to stop, surprised my wife has not asked me to move into the shed. Most recent addition is this 150mm Petty with Western handle, which came in this week:

pet150.jpg

And this is how it all started, 135m Kitaeji Petty:

pet135.jpg

and my first knife over 240mm: Yanagiba 270mm, actually measuring 275mm:

yani.jpg

Followed by long one: Sujihiki 270mm from Cheeks1989, actual length 279mm from heel to tip:

suji.jpg

This one I particularly like, 165mm Honesuki.Thanks Matus!

hon.jpg

Lastly, an 185mm Kitaeji Santoku, which I use daily:

santok.jpg

The western handled petty looks out of place... send it to me and it should take care of this problem. :D

Looks like the usuba is used the least. I've got the same, and me too, but I think it's my classiest looker ahead of my gyuto, etc.

That's a good start, soon you will have a set of kitaeji, a set of kasumi, and another set of yo.

I'm muy jealous. You managed to get a lot of kitaeji's in just a short time. I can't seem to get my hands on another lately....to slow when the emails come out and rakuten is maddening.

Best wait times in Japan now seem to be 1 year, and this is even from someone related to Iizuka/Shigefusa who used to get them quicker in the past.

Besides the Shigefusas, I do have several other knives. This one came in this week from Maksim's recent Kato sale; 150mm Petty:

kato2.jpg

And a Watanabe Santoku Pro; this one takes a wicked edge and used daily as well:

wat.jpg

All my current Petty knives, another growing family:

battle.jpg

Back