Your Opinions Please - Good Unusual or Bad Unusual?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I was hoping a bunch of you guys would be willing to share your opinions.
Thank You in advance for any of you who are willing to offer your input.
You can say this wood is butt ugly and it won't hurt my feelings.
I wanted to hear what you have to say before I make my decision whether to send this stuff in for stabilizing.
In the past there have been woods I thought were cool but nobody else did.
On the other side of the coin there have been woods I thought were ugly, but a lot of the knife makers wanted it. Example Black Palm.

This wood is cut from a standing dead Black Oak bunion. The spalting changed the look to random blotches of color.
When sanded finer it will show rays but not much else in the way of figuring.

Please let me know what you think. Good stuff or junk?

s001.jpg

Personally, I'd say junk but I bet someone out there would buy it. I also think palm is ugly.

I like it, it would be nice after an oil darkens it a bit. If you junk it, I'll pay shipping and we can put it in my garbage :p

I don't think it's bad at all. Stabilizing will darken it a bit, bring out the rays, maybe similar to black ash? Worth trying, I think. And black palm can be nice but its annoyingly brittle...

Stefan

What about dying it? Maybe the dye would highlight those faint growth rings.

Two tone woods look very cool on razors scales.
So for that purpose some of the blocks will work great.

I think it's alright. Doesn't grab me, but doesn't drive me away either.

I think it looks awesome. It is not the garden variety wood you see everyday. Maybe some black/natural dyed or even some orange dyed would be cool. I also like it natural...think darkening it with stabilizing it would be better, bring some cool contrast to it.

It is special, all right, and as some here say it might be nice if coloured in brightish colours when stabilized (Teal, purple, orange, red, blue...). However, this is really not my cup of tea, Mark. You know by now that I am a burly kind of guy.

darKHoeK

Latest posts

Back