Wakui

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read in some thread or another that it was former people from somewhere. Let me throw some Google at it...

Toshihiro Wakui 240mm Gyuto

Wakui: Right
Konosuke HD: Left

I also heard the maker is a former Yoshikane smith.

Mowgs

Too bad they don't ship to Canada. Anyone find any other retailers?

the price for the 270 seemed pretty reasonable and the choil shot looked promising so I went ahead and ordered one.

Ill let you guys know what I think.

If you search forums for Yamawaku you may find some more opinions. Seems like Yamawaku is kind of brand name for cheaper line of Wakui knives made from V2 core and KU iron cladding (they happens to be available with SS clad as well) . The grind appears to be the same or very similar to the one that Mowgs pictured.

I tried few knives from Yamawaku line. Several 210mm knives, one santoku and one nakiri. All of them were sub 100$ and in that price range they are great knives.

Used to be one of the best deals in the Jknife game, IMO, but prices have been rising.

My wakui 240mm Gyuto arrived today. It's ground thinner than Yoshikane skd and v2 gyutos. I've never used the Yoshikane Kasumi that maxim used to carry, but from the pics I've seen of it I would say the grind is similar to that line. I'll post some pics tonight if anybody is interested.

My wakui 240mm Gyuto arrived today. It's ground thinner than Yoshikane skd and v2 gyutos. I've never used the Yoshikane Kasumi that maxim used to carry, but from the pics I've seen of it I would say the grind is similar to that line. I'll post some pics tonight if anybody is interested.

please do.

Im not going to be able to grab my from USPS until saturday =/

I took some pics...but honestly Mowgface's look better than mine, and its gotta be the same knife from the same line.
Heres the Wakui choil shot.

And Here is the Yoshikane V2

FWIW the Yoshikane isnt an OOTB choil shot at all, but as you can tell these 2 knives cut very differently. Wakui basically cuts like a laser, I havent used it yet on anything really challenging yet...Im not sure how good the food release is. I used it briefly on some tomatoes, green onions, red onions, lettuce and some other things at work. Mine measures 52.5mm tall at the heel and is exactly 240mm in length on the cutting edge.

That Wakui seems crazy thin behind the edge. How is the edge stability? It also looks a bit like a wide bevel knife. How do you plan to sharpen it?

FWIW the Yoshikane isnt an OOTB choil shot at all, but as you can tell these 2 knives cut very differently. Wakui basically cuts like a laser, I havent used it yet on anything really challenging yet...Im not sure how good the food release is. I used it briefly on some tomatoes, green onions, red onions, lettuce and some other things at work. Mine measures 52.5mm tall at the heel and is exactly 240mm in length on the cutting edge.

Any updates on food release on the wakui, now that you've had it for a bit?

Any updates on food release on the wakui, now that you've had it for a bit?

Yeah I havent really tested it yet on anything like potatoes...and its nothing special with cooked proteins either. But it does a fantastic job on all kinds of veggies. Im very happy with the knife. I usually carry multiple gyutos for work anyway, Wakui seems to shine whenever I need real fine cuts/brunoise or fine veg slicing. The edge is thin enough to where Im not going bother using it at all for tougher tasks. I was surprised how great it was for carrots. Some food sticks from time to time, but it doesnt bother me.

Yeah the kireba on my Wakui was crazy flat but very consistent and easy to refinish. I have been considering working in a little convex but it cuts very well even without.

Yeah I havent really tested it yet on anything like potatoes...and its nothing special with cooked proteins either. But it does a fantastic job on all kinds of veggies. Im very happy with the knife. I usually carry multiple gyutos for work anyway, Wakui seems to shine whenever I need real fine cuts/brunoise or fine veg slicing. The edge is thin enough to where Im not going bother using it at all for tougher tasks. I was surprised how great it was for carrots. Some food sticks from time to time, but it doesnt bother me.

Hmm . . . do you think it adds anything over a sakai laser? I have a ginga and am looking for a stainless clad carbon that is still a great cutter but has some convexity to aid in food release, and feels a bit sturdier with heavier tasks. Seems like the wakui might not fit this bill?

Hmm . . . do you think it adds anything over a sakai laser? I have a ginga and am looking for a stainless clad carbon that is still a great cutter but has some convexity to aid in food release, and feels a bit sturdier with heavier tasks. Seems like the wakui might not fit this bill?

There is much better options out there for what you want.

I gotta say I got my 270 in today and I think it's a silly good knife for the money.

Back