Sous Vide Short rib help-asap!!!! What do I do?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsy9977

Founding Member
Reaction score
Ok so I got these three huge pieces of boneless short rib....I wanna try and cook them in my sous vide set up....I have an annova......anyway they are about 3 inches thick....5 inches wide and about 10 inches long.....biggest piece of boneless short rib I ever saw in my friggin life.....

Anyway *** do I do...cut em into steaks....if so how big?....leave em whole....seasoning....how long u guys think.....I gotta start cooking them by morning so I need to try and season them and get em ready tonight.....thanks for any help...I'm gonna start googling and see what I can find....ryan image.jpgimage.jpg

Leave em whole. Bag em seperately. A little oil, seaoning of choice - go light on any salt. Z described his treatment of short ribs (going off memory here) under the "What's Cooking" section. If memory serves he compared 48 to 72 hr and different temperature baths. Short ribs are almost mandatory recipe for getting started with SV - So easy and so good. Serious Eats and Chef Steps are two of the sites I hit to check on time/temp. EGullet is good but I find their indexing a challenge.

Congrats on Anova. I've two running overnight for Fri feed.

Do u think I can cook more than one at a time in my bath....I have the 12 quart bath...maybe just one at a time.....I don't need to cook all 3.... But they won't go to wSte if I do.....how tight can I pack em in the water?

I think you would be ok with all three in a 12 qt but not vizualizing the size well. Attached is a pic from earlier 2day. Two cambros with 8 beef tenders between them. I would not go anymore densly packed than what you can see.

20150507_112121.jpg

And good luck and post pics.

And next time I'm doing them for myself I'm going to try searing first.

Ok,so here's. A dumb question.....When I put the vacuumed packed ribs in the water....can the bag touch the actual unit .....by that I mean will the bottom metal part melt the bag if they come in contact?.....I've only used zip locks so far and I just clip them to the side of my cambro.....ryan

Should be fine to touch the unit, I go 52.5 for 48 hours the hard sear and baste when they come out.

I'll make sure to take pics of the final product...it'll be a few days though before dinner is ready...lol....ryan

Okay so I started the short ribs last night it's been 24 hours and I'm nervous Got two more days to go

For ultra long SV cooking (>24 hours), one can actually fill the container hugging one another. Once the meats cook through, they are all say at 130F to the core and will conduct similarly as when they are loosely packed with water as a medium. How did your experiment go?

Latest posts

Back