Quantcast
Micarta - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Micarta

I will be trying it with two boards, wax paper lined, and c-clamps screwed down as tight as I can get them.... we'll see what happens...
    Music--Food .:':. Dancing--Eating

What kind of resin do you plan to use?

Micarta is a Westinghouse trade name for a product made with the same phenolic resin as Bakelite but with cloth/fiber instead of wood dust. It is produced using heat and pressure and comes in sheets. The stuff that folks like us make is basically something akin to hand laid FRP, but with cloth or paper instead of glass fiber as the reinforcement.
    Quote Originally Posted by mainaman View Post
    If I am not wrong the micarta is premade in scale sizes then done as any other scale material, with rivet holes etc.

Well, I'm making not micarta obviously, but rather, solid glued demin product lol.... I have some 3m fiberglass resin... should be ok as long as I work fast...
    Music--Food .:':. Dancing--Eating

I can't find the thread but I believe Butch was using a 10 ton press.

Do you know which resin it is? In fiberglass boat building, they use either polyester, vinylester or epoxy. Polyester is the cheap stuff and epxoy is the strongest, but also the most expensive and has to be painted or covered in some other way because it reacts to UV. HIhg quality Vinylester is supposedly 90% as good as epoxy, but not so reactive. I think that the trick with the pressure is to get the resin to fully soak into the cloth without having to use too much. Less resin actually equals more strength. Matt Diskin has been making some really cool G-10 type material of late and he built himself a little vacuum bag system that draws the resin in one end as it draws the air out of the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnxiousCowboy View Post
    Well, I'm making not micarta obviously, but rather, solid glued demin product lol.... I have some 3m fiberglass resin... should be ok as long as I work fast...

+ Reply to Thread