Large Blocks - Black Paper Phenolic Composite

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
These are commonly called Black Paper Micarta but that is incorrect for these. Micarta is a brand name for Westinghouse brand phenolic composites.
This material was manufactured by Norva Plastics. I used my usual wood working sawblades and sandpaper to prepare these blocks.
I have cut the blocks in two sizes.
Normalish size are 6" long by 1&1/2" wide by 1&3/16" thick for $15 each
Large size are 6" long by 2" wide by 1&1/2" thick for $25 each.

Shipping is $5 for US or $20 for International orders. Free Shipping Worldwide for orders over $100.

Click on the photo to go where these are located in the web store.

Looks like they are all gone now. Thank You everyone.

5 boxes of new stuff arrived today so it looks like I will be busy sanding for a couple days.
Not going to say what all is here other than this batch has some really really really good stuff.
11222375_1598900363719569_1388179849627434326_o.jpg

I am going to start cleaning up Desert Ironwood Burl scale sets first. This is old stock that has been cut and stashed for a number of years. Looking at some of these it looks like many will be exhibition grade burl.
11194599_1598905797052359_3908960839197157598_o.jpg

Price on the ironwood? Will you have any blocks? And is ironwood a pain to work with if your a newbie, or is all the time in the world enough? ;)

Prices will vary but it is one of the more expensive woods.
There will be about a dozen or so blocks.

Scales tonight, blocks maybe tomorrow.
If anyone wants to be notified when new batches get posted in the store, sign up for the newsletter on my homepage www.burlsource.us
That way you get an email right after new batches get posted in the store.

And is ironwood a pain to work with if your a newbie, or is all the time in the world enough? ;)

Ironwood may be tough to manipulate BUT this can be to your advantage because it helps you to make mistakes at a slower pace. Use new sharp abrasives and it's a breeze really.

Dave's advice to use abrasives as if they didn't cost anything was one of the most expensive advices I ever got, but it made my work much more fun - and in ironwood it really makes a difference.

Stefan

Back