Help needed - trying to find Tanaka Ginssan (or similar!)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Helping a friend buy a gift for her husband. After extensive research on my side - back and forths - she is set on buying a Tanaka Ginssan, 240 or 270. The usual vendors are all out!

Any other leads?

If push comes to shove, what would be an alternative?

She wants a Japanese handle, stainless steel, up to $200 ... and doesn't really like Damascus (or Hammered).

Western handle would be super easy. Just go with FKM or Tojiro DP and call it a day, throw in a Parer and a Nakiri at that price ;)

Maybe I should suggest a re-handle of a Western blade? Anyone ever rehandled a Tojiro DP?

I think it's a cool idea, especially because you can get a pretty premium pair of book matched scales and some round bar for less than another $50. That and a bit of labor will get you an awesome gift for $100.

Where would you get a new handle at that price? I am still new here, but I have not found a handle maker at that price ... or you mean $100 for material and labor combined? That of course ;)

I think he means $100 for knife and materials and you do the labor. Meaning you only need to buy the knife, some wood, glue, and pins and do a DIY handle. It is quite rewarding, but does benefit from some practice. I personally would recommend to have done a few trial runs before re-handling a gift knife. If you were ever to consider it.

I think he means $100 for knife and materials and you do the labor. Meaning you only need to buy the knife, some wood, glue, and pins and do a DIY handle. It is quite rewarding, but does benefit from some practice. I personally would recommend to have done a few trial runs before re-handling a gift knife. If you were ever to consider it.

Yes a DIY. +1 on the trial runs though, that is what I'm going through right now on some old beaters. Really fun but definitely a lot to learn.

Yes a DIY. +1 on the trial runs though, that is what I'm going through right now on some old beaters. Really fun but definitely a lot to learn.

I wish I could do that... But we live in an apartment. No shed, basement or garage :-(

I am invited to make my first knife though, coworker has been making knives for 30 years. And a professional photographer friend of mine will document it, should be a fun project!

Yes. Better knife. Much better retailer. The recent rash of Torijo recs baffles me.

Edit: Slow typing coupled with a great deal of insightful thought. Or just slow typing. Friend should be very happy with the Hattori.

She bought the Gesshin 270 ... I'm thinking about getting him a very simple, very cheap Carbon knife just so he can understand the difference... Let's see if I can find one around $50 [emoji3]

Latest posts

Back