Quantcast
3 More finished from my workshop. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 More finished from my workshop.

Cheers Guys. I have a load of blacksmithing to catch up on before I can get much else done but in the mean time I think the next step is to make a couple of pretty rough single steel knives that I can use myself for a while to develop a feel for what works in practice. I like the wackier shaped knives, its just in my nature. But the next 2 will be a medium sized Gyuto and something about 150mm not sure yet, suggestions? Just for me to use and adapt and tweak. At the moment anything that seems sharp and finely ground seems good to me for my own humble use. So what in your opinion would be the 2 chiefs essential and classic design. I think I'm on the ball with a 220-240 Gyuto as one of them. Maybe 3 if I get time.
    What about the designs specifically would put you off these as users?

I don't think you should change them, as long as you are confident in them, and know customers will want them.

For me, they are very inoffensive, the edges are so extremely rounded off that it reminds me of how children's toys are made to be safe. The tip on the nakiri is not uncommon(though not usually as dramatic), but I HATE the rounded tip thing, I want a point, or it drives me NUTS. I have a cheap chinese cleaver with a belly-tip and it sucks to use.

The handles are one piece design, which is not bad at all, but I think knives really need something to visually separate the handle-to-blade transition, it's just an aesthetic thing. I don't mind it if they knives are being kept cheap, but in nicely finished knives like this, I like to see a little more.

Your maker's mark is confusing to look at. I'm not sure what it is. If I didn't see the mark next to a few others EXACTLY like it, I would think it was sloppy.

Great stuff, These are things I can work on. The stamp is a bit of a sloppy home made one. I made it years ago to stamp a dragons eyes for a weather vein. Its two half round files shaped and welded together at the sides. There is a guy on BB who makes etching machines and its on the shopping list for next time I manage to crawl out of my overdraft
    The Nakiri was not too well planned and ended up a bit different to what was intended, but i'm sure it will work for someone on a domestic level. Its too light I think as well. Due to a slip on the grinder it ended up a bit thinner than I wanted and with the rounded end

It's great to see a smith from the UK getting into kitchen knives, it seems everyone else is only interested in making outdoor type knives.

While i prefer carbon monosteel with a nice patina to damascus, it's clear from your pics that you have a great eye for detail. Your handles look really well designed with a nice gentle taper, the burl you used is quite simply stunning. As said before though, the handle would look better with a different colour, maybe darker ferule. It would really take it to the next level.

As for the style of a future gyuto, i really dont think you can get much better than this Masamoto as a perfect starting point.

I'll be keeping a very close eye on your work. If your experiments with kitchen knives become as good as what i think they will, i would love to have a home grown gyuto in my kitchen. In fact i wouldn't mind a matching sujihiki either.

The petty looks great, and I really like the damascus and the handles; you do some nice work! I'm not sure there is much of a market for 'fun' kitchen knife profiles the way there may be for carry-knives. If they are not functional they mainly just represent a waste of the buyer's $. Study the geometry of the traditional profiles, and maybe just tweak them slightly to make them 'yours'. But anything more then that will likely result in knives that have little utility.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Hmmmm..........that petty looks suspiciously like a seax.

Joe are you accusing me of grinding down old seax's into kitchen knives Would take too long. Here's my seax with notorious feathered seaweed pattern. Still needing a handle. Makes a very messy job of carving the chicken

Thanks guys for your encouragement. That Masamoto looks very nice. Certainly something along those lines is on the cards. I do love my damascus though, nothing else gives me the incentive to polish the thing Maybe some hamon going on would do it for me too. I'm working up to 2 piece handles, though my woodwork is a way behind my metalwork skills and equipment. I think i'll try T.B London's slotted dowel method. I would like to do a damascus integral too. I have a monster drill press which will do nicely in place of a Milling machine.
    I do think there all useful knives though, the Nakari may look quirky buts is very thin behind the edge. It also parts food well due to the blended sabre grind. The rounded tip was a bit of a daft Idea and it a pain sharpening it round the corner. I can see how a square sharp tip would be allot more useful.
    Its all good experience and its good to be here learning from people who use knives as their tools everyday.

The dammy on that ax is stunning!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Thanks Spike. I've still got half a billet of that left somewhere, though I think the pattern might distort too much on something thin. Maybe a feather pattern Deba. The pattern actually went a bit wrong, as I split the wrong side of the billet, so when I welded it back together I had something called feathered seaweed, (lots have made this mistake on this pattern), rather than feathered W's. But you can see some W's floating around in there. I was happy with it anyway.

Here's a vid of me doing the first weld by hand then squaring the billet up in the press, hope this works as its photo-bucket video

This is after one of the scary bits of the pattern, splitting the precious W's billet.

Cool stuff!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig