First Gyuto Recommendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chillip

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been looking through the forums and am finally ready to buy my first real knife. I only need a really good chef knife for now and will look for a smaller knife in the future. The recommendations I have seen have lead me to 3 candidates, but I am very open to other suggestions.

1. Suisin Western (240mm)
2. Carbonext
3. Fujiwara FKM

I am planning on going to Japan in the near future, but I'm not sure if that changes my options for my price range (<$200) at all.
Korin has the suisin currently and would do the initial sharpening, but I don't see them as a vendor here. Any thoughts on this?

I was also looking into sharpening stones. I've read the gesshin stones are great. I wouldn't mind buying a quality stone that will last me, but would also like to keep the cost down if possible. Should I go for the 1000/6000 combo stone or build with individual stones and add on gradually. I read the 400, 2000, 6000 set is also good. Is there a different # combo I should get and in what order should I purchase them in with it being my first set of stones?

Thanks in advance for all the help and can't wait to purchase my first knife.

USA but planning to go on a Japan trip in the near future

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Chef's knife

Are you right or left handed?
Right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Have only used western/no preference

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
No preference either, but have read 240mm is a good length

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No preference

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
~$200 cheaper the better though

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Everyday cook prep (slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats)

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
No name chef knife

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Rocking, drawing, walking

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Stays sharp, easy to sharpen

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Functionality would be more important than looks for me

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Not sure with it being my first real

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Stays sharp, easy to sharpen

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
I'd like it to last as long as possible, but I am willing to learn and spend the time sharpening

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Just bought an end grain boardsmith board

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Not yet

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes.

Korin is a sponsoring vendor here and an excellent retailer. I have a Suisin Western Inox, mostly for visitors, and like it. Another nice knife at a competitive price point is the Gesshin Stainless from JKI. I also have one of these. Both are relatively inexpensive knives. Either would serve you well.

I've less experience with the Carbonot - A friend wanted to save a few bucks and ordered one. Less than impressed. No experience with FKM. Don't plan on changing that.

Good luck in your search.

Sharpening carbon or semi-stainless carbon is the best way to learn how to hand-sharpen. It just gets you used to the smooth feel of carbon on a stone. And my recommendation is the CarboNext. The factory edge might be bad, but one sharpening will fix that. I don't know why people would be disappointed with the performance of a CarboNext at the price point that it's offered at. It doesn't win any beauty contests. It is a no-nonsense performer and keeps up with any knife twice its price. Any of the knives mentioned are great knives. The fit and finish on the Suisin Western is typically flawless if that is important to you. If you buy a Suisin, you're pretty much guaranteed a flawless fit and finish on a high value performer. And for a first stone, a combo stone will work just fine.

Thanks for the replies. From the threads I've read (2-3 years old), these were the main choices that people recommended. What would you consider next as a step up from the suisin still < or around $200? Also, will my trip to Japan have any additional benefit to my options, or can I get anything available online with the added benefit of the initial sharpening.

Akifusa, Ichimonji TKC, and Tanaka ginsanko are all great stainless performers < $200. I've owned the latter two and they came decently sharp out of the box.

Gonbei also has good reviews and you'll get Jon's QC.

Edit - Tanaka will need some work out of the box to make it comfortable.

tanaka ginsanko is a great knife. But for the price you sacrifice fit&finish for nicer steel and heat treat. Suisin is probably your best bet if youre looking for OOTB performance.

Is there a reason why the MAC Pro doesn't get much love around here for a starter western handled knife? I thought it was a good transition. Very comfortable, nice and thin, nimble, pretty good edge taking and retention while still being forgiving. Sweet french profile. Easy to sharpen.

Cheesy graphics, yes, but all around a great knife I think.

Is there a reason why the MAC Pro doesn't get much love around here for a starter western handled knife? I thought it was a good transition. Very comfortable, nice and thin, nimble, pretty good edge taking and retention while still being forgiving. Sweet french profile. Easy to sharpen.

Cheesy graphics, yes, but all around a great knife I think.

Youre right. The OP's budget is $200 so the Mac Pro is a good suggestion. I really like the handles and profiles on Macs, the steel and grind are ok for the price but nothing special.

Should you manage to get one used (or discounted as new price for 240 is close to $300), than Yoshikane (hammered finish, stainless cladd semi-stainless SKD core) would be a great pic. The steel takes and holds very sharp (yet with a bite) edge. I have their Hakata Santoku (and had a small petty) and it is very nice. The core will take patina slowly with use, but much weaker than carbon knife. You would have to really neglect the knife to get rust on it.

Another great option could be the semi-stainless from JNS (it comes with free shipping) - is also has semi-stainless core clad with stainless steel. Price-wise just slightly beyond your budget, but IMO in different class.

Once I have got close to $300, than I should also mention Kochi knives from JKI - Jon also has stainless clad carbon core gyutos. Definitely worth a look.

For the sharpening - you should also prepare some budget for that. If the money is tight, than something like King 1000/6000 combination stone should work fine and unless the knife you get will need thinning, than you should not need a coarse stone first few months. If you can spend more, than the Gesshin 3 stone set from JKI (includes 400, 2000, 6000) would give you some of the best stones out there. And there are numerous options in between.

The Ginga is a great choice, I have a 210 White 2 that I love, definitely a laser.

After looking around at all your recommendations it seems like the gesshin ginga is brought up a lot and has great reviews. I think this is just in my price range, but for a beginner like myself, what would be the difference (or just better for my experience) between the white #2 vs stainless? Should I just go for stainless so I don't ruin the knife? Right now I'm thinking of getting a Ginga and the combo stone (265+135=$400) Would this be everything I need to get set up and keep it sharp?

Also is there anything in Japan that I could bring back that is difficult to find online?

It depends how much work you want to do. White 2 being carbon means you can't leave it dirty or wet. Also cutting acidic foods isn't the best for the edge. Stainless is a bit less maintenance and i've heard for the ginga they are generally pretty comparable. The Ginga and a combo stone would be a great place to start!

After looking around at all your recommendations it seems like the gesshin ginga is brought up a lot and has great reviews. I think this is just in my price range, but for a beginner like myself, what would be the difference (or just better for my experience) between the white #2 vs stainless? Should I just go for stainless so I don't ruin the knife? Right now I'm thinking of getting a Ginga and the combo stone (265+135=$400) Would this be everything I need to get set up and keep it sharp?

The Gesshin Ginga 240mm Stain resistant is a good blade. Not bad to learn sharpening on as well. It is thin, light can raise a burr easy for a stainless blade. You are a home cook so your stones will last a long time.

That combo stone is better than most. If you study JKI sharpening U-Tubes and learn freehand that stone is enough to get you started & your knife very sharp.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and advice. Hopefully this can help someone else who will be in my position in the future for an upper entry level chef setup ($385 total). I'll be waiting to save up some money before I buy everything. I just tried to add everything to the cart, but hopefully there will be more ginga in stock once I'm ready. Is there a discount code available for JKI, or does anyone know if there's any sales coming up? Just trying to keep the cost down and I wouldn't mind waiting a bit for one.

I'll second the Tojiro DP. Inexpensive, high quality, and if you don't like it easy to sell. Great knife to see if you like Japanese style knives, less that $100 even for a 270 mm one.

Peter

Jon is real easy to talk to re: availability of knives. He's prob talked to a few that were buying first knives as well. Make his phone ring.

if you can stretch I really like the wakui mentioned in the other thread for the money.

otherwise call Jon.

Tojiro DP for the price are tough acts to follow, in my book. I've bought at least ten over the past few years as gifts for people that would appreciate the upgrade from the garbage their using now. I've said it before, the edge is one of the sharpest OOTB edge I've felt--not that that really matter much. I'll usually round the spine and soften the neck and choil and emoto with a file and a shoe shine wet dry paper progression. They sharpen up fine too. I'm going to be buying one soon for another Chef friend of mine. He's an amazing Chef but an 8" Ken Onion classic gyuto is currently his favorite. Gezzzzz, somebody got to help this guy.

Back