D. Martell Forgecraft Hi-Carbon Reduex

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
Dave ecchef wanted to spruce up his vintage Forgecraft Hi-Carbon Chef's knife. He sent me a killer "live ended" Mikey Riggen wa handle to install. The Forgie's tang was very wide so I first reduced it's width and then shaped it into a hidden tang with a shoulder then reshaped and smoothed the choil.

This knife was slightly thick along the bevel, most thickness seen in the curve up to the tip. The knife was also kind of ugly and well worn. I took it upon myself to thin the large bevel to make it even along it's length and then I refinished the factory Forgecraft look of the top half of the blade.

I think this came out pretty nice in looks but I KNOW that it's going to perform crazy good so I'm happy for once.

Thanks for letting me play with your knife Dave. :)

Forgecraft HC1.jpg

Forgecraft HC2.jpg

Forgecraft HC3.jpg

JapaneseKnifeSharpening Forgecraft 23.JPG

JapaneseKnifeSharpening Forgecraft 34.JPG

man....this makes me want a forgie...Nice work Dave!

Very nice. I never seem to get around to doing mine and this looks better than I could do it anyway, so you may get mail soon...

Stefan

These Forgies are tougher than you would expect to grind on. I wanted to do the bevel on stones but gave up after one hour of sweating away. I wonder what the Rc value is? The bevels are also VERY close in angle to the top flat section making power grinding a pucker factor of 10. :D

Thanks for the kind words guys. :)

Dave, you truly are the Maestro! That looks way better than I even imagined. Mikey's handle really makes it work.
One down! :D

Yeah Mikey really did a nice job on the handle, plus it was easy to install as well. You also did a good job on pairing it all together too! I'm glad you like it. :)

Yup, that's what I told the Wife. I didn't want to, but Son made me do it! :angel2:

So Dave, how'd that work out for you?

Both Dave's, great work. The two of ya sure made that handle look good:viking:

Be well,
Mikey

Actually I was a bit off, they ar eeven harder then I mentioned above

I just checked the old post I made about this (http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...d-carbon-forgies-dexter-and-some-old-cleavers) and my forgie chef was 61.5 to 62, that is on a par with what people harden many good modern carbons to, no? Here is what those forgies tested out at:

Chef: 61.5-62
Butcher: 58.5
Boning: 59
Cleaver: 59
Slicer: 59

so at least for this set of forgies, the steel is hardly crappy :)

http://www.forgecraft.co/about/ been waiting a year for these guys to pull their heads out of their asses.

From their website...

[h=1]WE'RE BACK.[/h]June 18, 2014
Well, it's taken 11 months, but Forgecraft is back. Look for limited editions of Forgecraft products to appear here in increasing numbers. I know what you're thinking, when are we making the Hi-Carbon Chef knives. I promise, it's in the works. I'll keep you posted on our progress.

1 Like

Back