Need sauce and/or vinegar-based slaw ideas for pulled pork sammitches

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Smoking a rubbed pork butt or two this weekend for a family event. Will pull and go on sandwiches. I prefer a vinegar-based slaw, but haven't made one myself yet. Am I overthinking the slaw? Do a basic cabbage mix, sugar, apple cider vinegar, carrots, celery seed? Maybe go a little heavy on black pepper. I want the pork to be the focus. Definitely no BBQ sauce.

Thoughts?

The ingredients you listed are all you need. If I follow recipes, I end up often with slaw that is too soupy, so I dial down the salt and sugar (believe this is what attacks the cell walls of the cabbage, and releases a lot of the moisture). If I have any, I'll add a little mayo or sour cream (not much, and never in the amounts most recipes that include them call for). With BBQ, I do something I saw Bobby Flay do on some cooking show. He added a recipe's worth of celery seed, tasted it, and jacked it another 2 times -- very aggressive amount of celery seed. I've tried it, and it makes great slaw with a bite, pairing well with smoking BBQ.

Cheers,

Jack

+1 to the pre-salting/draining, and the mayo/celery seed. If you're making the mayo yourself, substitute the lemon juice for red wine vin. Works great with the cabbage.

Rice wine vinegar and fresh lime juice are a great combo for slaw base with you standard spices. Customized a little or a lot. A little sugar or honey. Scallions. Chopped p nuts , cashews, maybe a few drops sesame oil and or sesame seeds, a little fresh ginger and a little soy sauce

How do you do yours? I like an overnight lime and orange juice pickle, no vinegar. Might add some serrano or even habanero to this round.

Do the habanero, results are excellent.

1 red onion - thinly sliced
1 habanero - stemmed, seeded, minced or slivered
1 lime + 1/2 orange - juiced
salt
cilantro (optional)

combine, let sit until onion wilts

Back