How do you guys feel about between size knives(especially gyutos?)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delbert Ealy

Reaction score
Since I started I have been making my gyutos a bit over size, like 245 listed as a "240". I know that this is the popular size for gyutos, but I was wondering how you guys fell about the tweeners? Like a 255 which is roughly equivalent to 10 inches, or for that matter a 225, which is a bit shy of 9 inches. I will keep making my 245's especially now that I have made some significant improvements.
I have been thinking about it for awhile, but what prompted me to ask was Marko's pre-buy of a 260mm gyuto(thanks Marko).
So would you guys be more tempted by a 255-260mm than a 245? Or for some of you looking for line knives be tempted by a 225 vs a 210 or 245mm?
Thanks,
Del

It's really not crucial to have it at some exact millimeter. If I was ordering a custom knife for myself, I would have it made to match dimensions natural to my body. But that's just me.

Something with the dimensions like a 9 inch Sabatier chefs knife seems like a real good "tweener" size to me.

I think a 225mm could be a nice length and make the blade height around 46mm.

A 260 would be interesting since many 240 knives run long, perhaps people would be used to this size?

That's pretty much what I had Murray make for me a few years ago. I like the size.

Stefan

I like most blades 240-260. Below 240 feels a touch short for somethings and 260 is starting to feel a little out of control near the tip. I do occasionally go to a 200 gyuto or a 210 suji.

I don't think the actual length of the knife is as important as it's balance of length, weight, and profile, in relation to it's intended task. 282mm was freaking fantastic for commercial prep with a Masamoto gyuto, because it's light, sleek, and agile, but big enough for a big board and big product. A Henckels at 282mm wouldn't be a prep knife, it'd be a prop for an SCA meeting. On the line I'll use a 6 inch, 7 inch, or 8 inch knife depending on whatever is closest, because all I'm trying to do is chop some goddamn parsley before the goddamn waitress takes the goddamn pla..... GET BACK HERE DUMMY!!

Besides, with different knives being measured from different places, "210, 240, 270" is just a nerdy way to say "small, medium, large." No need to be too technical.

Different knives are measured from different points, and rounded up or down differently. So most 240mm gyutos aren't actually 240mm on the edge. I prefer 270s to 240s anyway.

Just make em whatever size you feel like and label them as whatever the edge length ends up being. If you want to round up or down to nice numbers, that's okay too.

My two favorites are 223 and 263 but with narrow profiles.

This would be good for me.Maybe it's just a home cook thing(or just me)I kinda fell silly cutting a fingerling potato with a 270mm.I really don't need to over compensate with a large knife:angel2:

For me the minimum length at the edge would be 240mm and maximum no more than 270mm Probably the ideal length would be somwhere around the 250mm mark.

A 225 gyuto might work for my wife, as the 240s are a bit too long for her (she mainly uses a 210). I use 240s and wouldn't mind having one a little longer. The couple 270s I played with recently were a bit unweildy for me, so closer to 260 would be good (and with a blade height closer to what is normal for a 240 vs normal for a 270).

My two favorites are 223 and 263 but with narrow profiles.
:rolleyes2::shots:

I rather like yor current size for an all-arounder. It could be a bit bigger for some, shorter for others, but you cant please all the people all the time.

For mass market Euro style knives even up to the $125-150 range, the most common "big" chef's knife seen in the home kitchen seems to be the 8 incher, which my days in field artillery tells me is 203mm MOL, so a 210mm Japanese blade would pretty much fall into that category. Is that considered to be too small by serious kitchen knife nuts? Most of what I see on here is between 9 and 10 inches with 9.5 or 240mm making up the lions share of the Japanese offerings and 10 inch being the "ideal" Euro style blade assuming you don't have 12 inch New York City counters..

Yes, most people here would consider an 8" chefs knife too small for their primary knife. Not to say we don't own them or find them useful, just that most prefer something in the 9.5" to 11" range.

190mm-230mm chefs knives, santokus or slicers/pettys are often used by pro cooks during service as line knives. Too small for tons of prep, but good for quick tasks.

I like in-between sizes because I can then justify buying a new knife because I don't have a 220 or 250 :)

Actually, I like the in between sizes. Eventually I want a 225 suji and I am going to get one of Jon's 210s he has at JKI -- or maybe a custom is in order ;)

k.

my favorite knife is my 225mm mizuno blue Dx gyuto. It feels as good in the hand as anything else I have. I think the size is great reason to that, for me.

I also think that size - 225mm - for a sujihiki would be really great too- 210mm doesn't really cut it as well as a slicer. 225 does, on small proteins.

Back