Yet one more Gyuto Recommendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldcookie

Reaction score
I've had my 8" Mac pro, and a 8" Henckels for like last 10 year, now I am at a point where I want something that performs better. I've been looking at a few knives online, will probably head down to Tosho in the next week or two. Would love to hear what advices people have for my needs/wants.

Canada

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Chef's Knife

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Wa handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
~240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$350

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
General slicing and chopping of vegetables, slicing meat.
(I have a Chinese cleaver for heavier tasks, and honesuki for poultry, and Chinese slicer cleaver for dices.)

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Mac Pro 8" dimpled

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push, draw, slice

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Probably a wa handle

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
No dimples, I think they are annoying

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Blade height, wanted something a bit taller so it is easier to scope stuff up. (I grew up with Chinese cleavers...)
Blade length, wanted something a bit longer so slicing can be done with less sawing.
On all my knives, food stick to the side, I would like better release.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
I like sharpening, so it not as important being able to get a sharp edge

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes, bamboo and wood.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I am not crazy about damascus patterns, and I wear small size men gloves :)

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the responses so far. Was actually planning to look at Takeda at Tosho, will do that on the weekend. Looking at Watanabe, and Heiji as suggested by someone via PM. Part of me just want to buy them all, but wife would probably stab me with them when they all show up at the door. :)

I'm going to second the Watanabe, mine feels like a small cleaver with a tip.

Thanks for the responses so far. Was actually planning to look at Takeda at Tosho, will do that on the weekend. Looking at Watanabe, and Heiji as suggested by someone via PM. Part of me just want to buy them all, but wife would probably stab me with them when they all show up at the door. :)

Have them shipped to work. Problem solved [emoji109]🏻

Have them shipped to work. Problem solved [emoji109]🏻

I made that mistake... Got a call from security asking why an 11" knife was being sent to me at work (they scan packages and didn't like what they saw on the x-Ray!).

They refused to deliver it me, instead they slapped a new ups label on it and sent it to my house anyway.

I'd second the Takeda, I have large hands and hated the skinny handle...loved the knife.

Almost forgot to say WELCOME to KKF!

I have three Takedas and agree with chinacats about the handles. Not so bad on the Nakiri but the 270 gyuto just feels wrong. The Deba on the other hand...

They'll likely get rehandled at some point.

Back