Stefan's Still kickin' - and pics to prove it

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apicius9

Das HandleMeister
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi, the older ones among you may remember me: My name is Stefan, and I used to make knife handles, occasionally.:) In fact, some of you may have grown very old while waiting for a handle from me... :O Don't want to bore you with my life story - the short version is: It sucks but is better than 2 years ago - but I just did not find a way to making woodworking a priority with everything else going on. But recently I have been getting back a bit - last but not least because Keith (keithsaltydog) has been kicking my butt for which I am very thankful. So, I still have a long way to go, but at least there is a little bit of movement. Just wanted to send a sign of life and some proof that I made it into the shop. These pictures are all of handles that had been ordered a loooong time ago - to the point that I will now contact people in the next couple of days to find out whether they are still interested. In the meantime, a few others have started making handles, and I can blame nobody if they checked in with these guys who do excellent work. In fact, most of mine will almost look a bit simplistic compared to others you may have seen here recently. Anyway, If you think you see yours, send me a PM, but I will also contact everyone over the next few days. These are phone pics, so the colors may not be 100% but you get the idea. Tbc. soon.Thanks,

Stefan

2-tone amboyna, D-shape

Small petty handle, redwood burl & Hawaiian signature wood

Bog oak, horn, nickel silver

koa and marbled horn - mine, all mine :)

figured African blackwood & Hawaiian signature wood

koa & spalted myrtle burl

Spalted Hawaiian Norfolk pine & marbled horn

Belize rosewood & horn

koa & spalted maple (I think...)

Spalted Norfolk pine & blackwood, similar to Marko's style

pre-WWII bakelite, horn, nickel silver

premium amboyna burl & marbled horn, D-shape

amboyna burl, bog oak, reconst. malachite, oval shape

thuya burl & horn

amboyna burl, horn, nickel silver, a la Marko

koa, horn, nickel silver

desert ironwood burl, horn, bakelite spacer

Honduran rosewood burl & blackwood

Hawaiian signature wood & rosewood burl

myrtle burl & horn

spalted Hawaiian Norfolk pine & horn

Everyone a masterpiece. Honestly you may mâke thé Moost colerful and expressive handles in the world, Nothomg looks over the top. Just pure class.

Hot damn! Nice to see you back in the saddle again Stefan!!! :doublethumbsup:

Oh yeah! Nice to see you back in the saddle! BTW, that marbled horn looks great in every combination.

Oh man, Stefan I'm so going to hop over to Oahu one night, bust into your shop, and steal your entire stash of signature wood, and marbled horn, oh, can't forget the Norfolk pine, and that myrtle wood (such nice color)...damn, I'm going to need to check a bag on the way back:scratchhead: . As always, beautiful work Bro. Haole handle makers ROCK!:viking:

A hui hou,
Mikey

For those of you that may not be familiar with Stefan's work, it is absolutely first rate.
I have 8 Stefan handles (down from 11), some of them from when he was first starting out. All kinds of material combinations; some exotic woods, horn, metals, abalone shell, mammoth tooth, etc. Not one of them ever came apart or had the materials shift or lost their color. Two have outlasted their host blades, and all of them have seen commercial kitchen action; they're not 'drawer queens'.

Welcome back Big Guy!!!! :wink:

Wow! Good to see you're back with gusto! As has been said previously, absolutely classy & elegant work. Beautiful as always! (And I say that even with the Hello Kitty handle in mind ;) )

Thank you very much for the praises and endorsements, everyone! They mean more to me than you may know...

Stefan

Must feel good to post these pics and see all the love you have here on the forum...It's well deserved. As stated above, nothing is over the top, but all of them are very classy and beautiful. I absolutely love your work as you know, but more than anything I love to see you back, even if it's just a little at a time. Keep fighting, stay strong, and know that you have a lot of people who care about you and believe in you. Your work will always speak for itself.

Glad to see you back doing something you do so well and hopefully find as rewarding as it should be.

Dave

OMG, they don't get any better than yours!! Freaking beautiful style, materials, and above all craftsmanship.

Thanks again, especially to Anthony for the encouragement. The nice thing is that we now have a few people who make handles, and from what I have seen we all put our hearts into them and craft them as good as we can without shortcuts. At the same time, there are some differences in style, so that people have choices and there is something for every taste. Let's all have a beer on Fish'n'poi/Greg tonight who started this madness....

Stefan

If this were a movie I'm pretty sure a slow clap would be happening.
Hope things continue to improve for you so you can continue to share your talent.

makes me wanna get some quality knives just to have these handles on em... :2thumbsup:

In person that Spalted Hawaiian Norfolk Pine & Horn is translucent really cool handle.

Better get some more Pine stabilized then... ;) Btw, I will put some 'extras' up for sale next week, just saying...

Stefan

Damn it, now checking kff 50 times a day as opposed to 30.....

I just looked at my schedule for this week - no chance to get them posted before Thursday evening Hawaiian time, so you can relax for a little bit ;)

Stefan

Back