Thread: Working Knives

Kasumi 150mm boning
    Moritaka 150mm honesuki
    Kasumi 180mm santoku
    Moritaka 185mm santoku
    Sanatier 10" carver
    Moritaka 240mm gyuto

can"t post photo(photo bucket?)
    Last edited by JohnnyChance; 08-09-2011 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Fixed it for ya'

??

Now it should work. Copy the "Direct Link" url on Photo Bucket and use that when you click the picture icon.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

This is what is currently in my kit and what I bring to work every day.

Page 1!

ZK 10", Tojiro 270mm Bread Knife, DT ITK 270mm Gyuto, 300mm Hiro Suji, 140mm Gekko Petty, 150mm Tojiro DP Honesuki. Saya is by Marko and is for the Hiro.

Page 2!

Mac Black Ceramic Hone, 270mm Shigefusa Kasumi Gyuto, Delbert Ealy 240mm Gyuto, some deba I got from eBay. Saya is by Marko and is for the Shige. White thing is a sheath made out of c-fold/chix towels and tape.

Page 3!

Everything else, including some Rösle 12" tongs, tweezers, non slip mat, veggie peeler, Gray Kunz spoons, wine key, knuckle bandaids, notebook, Miyabi sheepsfoot parer, rubber bands, corks, pay stubs and of course...sharpies.

And the rest stays at home in the drawer:

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Now it should work. Copy the "Direct Link" url on Photo Bucket and use that when you click the picture icon.
    Thanks J C.I thought that's what I did,but..
    That's quite the work kit you got there.Nice!

My workers at the moment... I don't use them all everyday. Special shout out to the moribashi, can't work without them.

Quick question. JohnnyChance, why do you take so many gyutos to work? Also, it is interesting that you have a mix of 270s and 240s, do you prefer each length for certain tasks? I have always used 240s but I am considering getting a 270 to see if I like it. Thing is, I sorta don't want to like it because then I won't use my 240s, so I find it interesting you have a mix of lengths. Another thing, I seem to have way fewer knives than everyone else. In my job everyone sorta does their own bit, hence I have no big slicers, the odd time I need one my 210 petty works ok

Messy Jesse, that is an absolutely LOVELY patina on the KS gyuto. I think I might end up getting one of these, though I told myself no more gyutos...

Yes, it does look very good. Did you force it?

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    Quick question. JohnnyChance, why do you take so many gyutos to work? Also, it is interesting that you have a mix of 270s and 240s, do you prefer each length for certain tasks? I have always used 240s but I am considering getting a 270 to see if I like it. Thing is, I sorta don't want to like it because then I won't use my 240s, so I find it interesting you have a mix of lengths. Another thing, I seem to have way fewer knives than everyone else. In my job everyone sorta does their own bit, hence I have no big slicers, the odd time I need one my 210 petty works ok
    Because I don't like to sharpen every day. I sharpen all my knives at once every 2-3 weeks or so. So even if I haven't sharpened in awhile, I always have a fresh gyuto. Even if I used just one, my edges keep for 1-2 weeks, so it is overkill, but I am always prepared. Some knives are better for certain tasks, and some I don't like to use for others. Like I wouldn't use the Shigefusa during service. I prefer 270's to 240's, but the 240's are nice to have during service because they are slighty smaller and take up less board space. The 240's I have now are mostly because those knives were not available in 270. Going forward, any other gyutos I purchase would probably be 240 just because I have so many 270s already. I also bring a few because sometimes it is just nice to change it up and use something else I haven't used in awhile. I have something for every mood, haha. You may have less than people, but really, I have way too many. And I have at least....five more that are ordered and haven't been made yet. So yeah, it's a problem. I am running out of knives to buy that wouldn't be redundant. People chide me at work when I break out something they haven't seen before. I probably have as many chefs knives as everyone else in my kitchen combined.