Media Working Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazmtb

Banned
Reaction score
Here are mine, the others stay in a drawer some where:scared4:

JCK Carbonext 300 suji

Ichimonji TKC 270 gyuto

Hiromoto G3 210 suji

Nenox G Type 150 petty

JCK Kayagaki VG1 150 Honsuke

Some VG 10 8" VG-10 damascus buffet slicer

Cheap Chinese stainless steel cleaver.

Just a shot before I make some seafood gumbo.

img9908d.jpg

We have quite similar tastes!

For me:

Ichimonji TKC 240mm Gyuto (270 coming)
Hiromoto AS 300mm sujihiki
Hiromoto G3 210mm sujihiki
Tojiro DP 150mm honesuki
Wusthof 10" bread knife w/reverse serrations
el cheapo Forschner paring knives

Post your working knives here!!! We need knife pictures to liven up this place!

That G3 suji almost looks like a gyuto. I'll take a few pics of my work knives tomorrow

Yeah, I wished it was a little thinner, maybe with some more work on the shoulders, it will be good. I wished the steel was the Tokko steel like the TKC/Carbonext. The G3 steel is a pain to deburr, and It chipped a lot initially. I had to put a less aggressive bevel on it than my initial sharpening bevel, because it started to have some bad microchipping. I was probably on a wire edge, but I thought I had deburred and everything. The TKC steel is great, not burring problems on very acute angles.

As you can see, I have thrown everything on this knife and yet no rust, just some discoloration. 1.5% chromium in 52100 goes a long way.

Hmm... I can't add pictures here.

OK I said I'd post a few pics so here they are. I rarely cook at home so my work knives are basically all my knives, I just don't get super fancy ones I guess. I have a lot more but this is my rotation at present

240 Masamoto KS
Sakai Yusuke White#2 210 petty
240 Watanabe kurouchi gyuto
Global parer
Mac Hone, and my very nice strop

As you can see, I have thrown everything on this knife and yet no rust, just some discoloration. 1.5% chromium in 52100 goes a long way.

Hmm... I can't add pictures here.

Well, I guess I should say, no pitting yet, but this was part of a test how much care 52100 requires. My conclusion - very little.

M

dsc1781g.jpg

dsc1782b.jpg

My work set has been put away... I may be getting into the "personal" chef trade (kind of). Seems alot of the folks up around my parents place need assistance in their later years and have asked around about a traveling cook to help out :) May not be much but it will keep my "Playing" as it where lol

Not sure the last work set will see much use but you never know...

CCK1103
No Name (that I can tell) Nakiri

Not sure where the pics are for them.

024.jpg

Kasumi 150mm boning
Moritaka 150mm honesuki
Kasumi 180mm santoku
Moritaka 185mm santoku
Sanatier 10" carver
Moritaka 240mm gyuto

can"t post photo(photo bucket?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Now it should work. Copy the "Direct Link" url on Photo Bucket and use that when you click the picture icon.

This is what is currently in my kit and what I bring to work every day.

Page 1!
IMG_0702.JPG

ZK 10", Tojiro 270mm Bread Knife, DT ITK 270mm Gyuto, 300mm Hiro Suji, 140mm Gekko Petty, 150mm Tojiro DP Honesuki. Saya is by Marko and is for the Hiro.

Page 2!
IMG_0703.JPG

Mac Black Ceramic Hone, 270mm Shigefusa Kasumi Gyuto, Delbert Ealy 240mm Gyuto, some deba I got from eBay. Saya is by Marko and is for the Shige. White thing is a sheath made out of c-fold/chix towels and tape.

Page 3!
IMG_0705.JPG

Everything else, including some Rösle 12" tongs, tweezers, non slip mat, veggie peeler, Gray Kunz spoons, wine key, knuckle bandaids, notebook, Miyabi sheepsfoot parer, rubber bands, corks, pay stubs and of course...sharpies.

And the rest stays at home in the drawer:
IMG_0704.JPG

Now it should work. Copy the "Direct Link" url on Photo Bucket and use that when you click the picture icon.

Thanks J C.I thought that's what I did,but..
That's quite the work kit you got there.Nice!

My workers at the moment... I don't use them all everyday. Special shout out to the moribashi, can't work without them.

IMG_0028.jpg

Quick question. JohnnyChance, why do you take so many gyutos to work? Also, it is interesting that you have a mix of 270s and 240s, do you prefer each length for certain tasks? I have always used 240s but I am considering getting a 270 to see if I like it. Thing is, I sorta don't want to like it because then I won't use my 240s, so I find it interesting you have a mix of lengths. Another thing, I seem to have way fewer knives than everyone else. In my job everyone sorta does their own bit, hence I have no big slicers, the odd time I need one my 210 petty works ok

Messy Jesse, that is an absolutely LOVELY patina on the KS gyuto. I think I might end up getting one of these, though I told myself no more gyutos...

Quick question. JohnnyChance, why do you take so many gyutos to work? Also, it is interesting that you have a mix of 270s and 240s, do you prefer each length for certain tasks? I have always used 240s but I am considering getting a 270 to see if I like it. Thing is, I sorta don't want to like it because then I won't use my 240s, so I find it interesting you have a mix of lengths. Another thing, I seem to have way fewer knives than everyone else. In my job everyone sorta does their own bit, hence I have no big slicers, the odd time I need one my 210 petty works ok

Because I don't like to sharpen every day. I sharpen all my knives at once every 2-3 weeks or so. So even if I haven't sharpened in awhile, I always have a fresh gyuto. Even if I used just one, my edges keep for 1-2 weeks, so it is overkill, but I am always prepared. Some knives are better for certain tasks, and some I don't like to use for others. Like I wouldn't use the Shigefusa during service. I prefer 270's to 240's, but the 240's are nice to have during service because they are slighty smaller and take up less board space. The 240's I have now are mostly because those knives were not available in 270. Going forward, any other gyutos I purchase would probably be 240 just because I have so many 270s already. I also bring a few because sometimes it is just nice to change it up and use something else I haven't used in awhile. I have something for every mood, haha. You may have less than people, but really, I have way too many. And I have at least....five more that are ordered and haven't been made yet. So yeah, it's a problem. I am running out of knives to buy that wouldn't be redundant. People chide me at work when I break out something they haven't seen before. I probably have as many chefs knives as everyone else in my kitchen combined.

I am trying to buy less knives and have ones that I can use for a few different things. The way my job works though, there aren't a whole lot of different types of knives I think I need, maybe a long suji but I'm not even sure I'd use it that much and I don't wanna buy knives that other people use more than me. Probably get another 210 petty so I can sharpen the one I have less. I have 4 gyutos at present and that is enough of a rotation for a while and 2 are carbon so they don't even need sharpened that much. I have 3 or 4 pettys that I keep at home and never use because a 210 is far better. Interesting to see everyone's choices

@Johnny-
Crazy kit! That Delbert Ealy gyuto is one purdy knife.
Those itk bread knives are pretty useful, I suggested one to a coworker and now three of 'em own this knife before I got one lol.
Again, awesome kit.

Thanks. I still have some holes, mainly a short suji/gyuto to use as a line knife, a yanagi for butchering, skinning and portioning fish, and western style boning and butchering knives. At some point I will probably also upgrade my deba.

my beloved nenox suji with Dave custom handle. my most most used and favorite one so far.
sorry for the crappy pic from the phone.

IMG_20110811_201034.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back