Which Gyuto 240 mm for me?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yroymtl

Reaction score
My girlfriend want to buy me a knife for my birthday. I want a gyuto knife about 240 mm long, dual bevel blade. A knife with a very good blade not too difficult to Sharpen and very durable? If possible a knife with Damascus blade or special blade. A Japanese handle not a western handle. She wants to buy something around 160$. Do you have something to propose to me? I don't have big hands.

Metalmaster has blue 2 Tanaka damascus for 130$...great knife, reputable vendor.

This knife is carbon (will rust) so may be best to fill out the "which knife should I buy questionnaire" as that may give you better suited options.

And Welcome to KKF :)

Metalmaster has blue 2 Tanaka damascus for 130$...great knife, reputable vendor.

This knife is carbon (will rust) so may be best to fill out the "which knife should I buy questionnaire" as that may give you better suited options.

Develops a fantastic Patina though, that can look stunning! Handle sucks, have to say.

I got the 270 for $130 on sale ...

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Japanese Chef knife

Are you right or left handed?

Right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

Japanese handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or

240 mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Yes and no. It could be a mix of both

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

160 USD$

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Meat (without bones), vegetables, a good all around

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

A 6" Kyocera ceramic Santoku

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

The commons used

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

More comfortable, longer

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Damascus or good pattern blade, wood handle,

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Not too heavy

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

A good all around

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

Long edge retention.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Synthetic but can add a wood or bamboo board

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

Not for now

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

I could

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Develops a fantastic Patina though, that can look stunning! Handle sucks, have to say.

I got the 270 for $130 on sale ...

Handle depends on when/where you bought the knife. Mine is from MM, ho wood and horn, pretty decent handle with no gap or rise from wood to horn. I bought it second hand so definitely not new stock. Just checked website and current model at MM is resin instead of horn.

That's an awesome price for a 270, should help to pay for a rehandle;)

Gesshin Gonbei hammered damascus if in stock.

Handle depends on when/where you bought the knife. Mine is from MM, ho wood and horn, pretty decent handle with no gap or rise from wood to horn. I bought it second hand so definitely not new stock. Just checked website and current model at MM is resin instead of horn.

That's an awesome price for a 270, should help to pay for a rehandle;)

Just like you I prefer horn .

Gesshin Gonbei hammered damascus if in stock.

Yeah, Im sorta surprised these dont get recommended more often. Theyre pretty competitive in price, have very nice grinds, good core steel and nice handles. I owned a 150 petty and it was very nice. The damascus hammer finish aesthetic didnt suit me but if thats your thing you will love the way they cut.

Tosho is a sponsoring retailer in Canada. This would simplify the shipping process for you.

Epicurean Edge is in the US but has several offerings with a hammered finish.

Links to their offerings can be found under the sponsor sub-forums.

Tosho is a sponsoring retailer in Canada. This would simplify the shipping process for you.

Epicurean Edge is in the US but has several offerings with a hammered finish.

Links to their offerings can be found under the sponsor sub-forums.

Can you tell me if Tosho have good knives for my needs?

I'm looking for the best Bang for the bucks knives around 160$. Whatever the provider. Finally, it doesn't care if it is a Carbon blade. I always take care of my blade.

I've gotten a couple knives from Tosho (they're in Toronto). Although my budget was much higher than what you're looking to spend, I'm sure they'll have something as I've seen knives ranging from about $100 to $5000 CAD. You should have a look at their website, but iirc they have a lot more in the shop that isn't online; so an email, phone call or visit (if you're in the GTA) may be in order once you've had an initial look

Another Canadian eh. I'd go with knifewear sub $200 the best you will get is a masakage mizu 240mm gyuto in blue #2. I have the parer and its amazing, I've shaved with it once, just to see if I could. Ootb edge is sexy as can be. Over $200 cad they ship free so get that a blade guard and a cheap kitchen gadget and your there. Really nice deep blue finish on it, only issue is it has a plastic collar which honestly to me isn't a big deal as it looks like marble stone. Other option is plop down another $20 for the yuki, I bought my gf one last week for her bday and she loves it. Other options in Canada are $250 for a 10 inch z kramer, or $200 for a 210 takamura from finejapaneseknives. I checked tosho and his only sub 200 240 was a kaneshige which I have never even seen in real life, comes with a saya so that's neat. I'd go for the mizu though and if you dont like the handle you can buy a new generic one, later on. Anyways best regards glad to see another canuck. :)

That makes three of us. I still have my Moritaka supreme gyuto from PF, I use it as a guinea pig and and guest J-knife. I haven't had any of the issues that are commonly reported with Moritaka, yet...

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/1367-Moritaka-how-long

My understanding is that the blue super is less likely to have the issues of the blue 2. Blue 2 moritaka = nightmare potential. If considering the moritaka, you definitely want to at least read the link tjangula provided.

Latest posts

Back