Quantcast
Preferred steel for kitchen knives?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Preferred steel for kitchen knives?

Preferred steel for kitchen knives?

I am a knife maker who is new to making kitchen knives. I know of some great steels for kitchen knives but I'd like to know what is preferred for high end kitchen knives.

What do you think? Thanks for the help!

52100 and White 1/2 are pretty well received for carbon, though I like my Blue Super for it's edge retention.
    Maybe AEB-L from DT for stainless? Not too comments about stainless about...

How is W2 working out? It seems that it is fairly new to the custom kitchen knife game, but some of us have been using Don Hanson's General Motors body stamping tool W2 for a few years and Aldo is having it made in Germany now.

I'm partial to white steel and blue super, one for its ease of sharpening and the other for toughness & good retention, but admittedly I have yet to get to know 52100 and O-1. That ought to change shortly. Love what Devin Thomas has done with AEB-L steel, but other than that I'm not really interested in stainless steel.
    Len

For carbon we like O1, W2, 1095, 52100... For stainless 13c26, 19c27, cpm154. Stuff that's hard, but not to hard to sharpen. I haven't seen any kitchen knives in A2, don't know why. Some people like D2 while others hate it.

I am fond of AS,01,52100.I have used most of anything that has been made into a chef knife.As for W2 it has not been used enough in kitchen blade as far as I can see,I guess someone here can change that.

I would love to see kitchen cutlery made of these:
    CTS-XHP
    CPM-M4
    CPM-S110V, S125V
    CPM-10V
    ZDP-189
    ELMAX
    VANAX-75
    CPM-154

Just to name a few. The ZDP is an excellent performer and I don't see why any of these others would not perform also. Please contact me if you plan on using any of these, exception zdp/cpm154 (tried it)

i have used all but 3 of them so tima will tell
    Quote Originally Posted by goodchef1 View Post
    I would love to see kitchen cutlery made of these:
    CTS-XHP
    CPM-M4
    CPM-S110V, S125V
    CPM-10V
    ZDP-189
    ELMAX
    VANAX-75
    CPM-154

Just to name a few. The ZDP is an excellent performer and I don't see why any of these others would not perform also. Please contact me if you plan on using any of these, exception zdp/cpm154 (tried it)

Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post
    I'm partial to white steel and blue super, one for its ease of sharpening and the other for toughness & good retention, but admittedly I have yet to get to know 52100 and O-1. That ought to change shortly. Love what Devin Thomas has done with AEB-L steel, but other than that I'm not really interested in stainless steel.
    wow how can I say this any better.

I love my White (3 knives) and Blue (2 knives) and come september will hopefully be ordering a Dave and Del in O-1 and will find someone to make me something in 52100. Gotta try it all right.

Gotta try it all right.

White steel
    Music--Food .:':. Dancing--Eating

+ Reply to Thread