Quantcast
Preferred steel for kitchen knives? - Page 8
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Preferred steel for kitchen knives?

Oh yeah, Thanks for the compliments HHH!

15N20 is a shallow hardening steel as Del said, but the good news is that it is not quite as shallow hardening as typical 1095 or W2. I would guess that at least 80% of the good carbon steel damascus knives out there contain some 15N20.

Quote Originally Posted by ******* View Post
    Didn't see that at first. I see the 'lol" but I fail to see the humor in your statement. Isn't an interest in or desire to make kitchen knives what determines if someone "belongs" on a kitchen knife forum? Also, I thought this was the "getting started" section and not the "you don't know diddly so shut up and go back to making your silly bowie knives" section. Did I click the wrong subforum?
    I actually like talking steel although I have very limited knowledge with regard to forging/HT processes. My comment was a response to the fact the I asked one person about their "ideal" kitchen knife design and your contribution to the conversation was a comment about competition choppers. Your comment had nothing to do with kitchen knives, thus eliciting the "you don't belong here, lol" comment from me.

I was actually commenting about sub part 2, subsection a of your question regarding "toughness"
    Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I actually like talking steel although I have very limited knowledge with regard to forging/HT processes. My comment was a response to the fact the I asked one person about their "ideal" kitchen knife design and your contribution to the conversation was a comment about competition choppers. Your comment had nothing to do with kitchen knives, thus eliciting the "you don't belong here, lol" comment from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Fairly Knives View Post
    ...As a former chef I like a thicker spine for pushing through tougher stuff and he also has thicker stock, I have all kinds of options!
    My tougher stuff comment referred to this statement made by Fairly. It was not a question about steel toughness.

Well, then just consider my comment a wild tangent.
    Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    My tougher stuff comment referred to this statement made by Fairly. It was not a question about steel toughness.

+ Reply to Thread