Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fountain pens- any fans on KKF?

Fountain pens- any fans on KKF?

I enjoy using my fountain pens from time to time.

Any ink a favorite?

Any other aficionados?

No aficionado but I enjoy using the few I have. For practical reasons, I Have two Vanishing Point Pilots and love them, but I use the cartridges right now - less mess in the office. I also have a Montblanc but hardly ever use it, not happy with the tip, too wide. I picked up a Parker 51 just oit of curiosity last year but then got sidetracked and totally forgot about it, never even tried it out. So, just a practical user, no collector.

Stefan

Legal lapis, and yes very deeply love Fountain Pens. Mostly vintage , but have quite a few Edison Pens.. If anybody here has not tried Fountain Pens....you are missing out on truly a great writing experience.... lets see , by last count 142 pens
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    No aficionado but I enjoy using the few I have. For practical reasons, I Have two Vanishing Point Pilots and love them, but I use the cartridges right now - less mess in the office. I also have a Montblanc but hardly ever use it, not happy with the tip, too wide. I picked up a Parker 51 just oit of curiosity last year but then got sidetracked and totally forgot about it, never even tried it out. So, just a practical user, no collector.

Stefan
    I am more in this catagory Stefan,

Quote Originally Posted by brianw View Post
    Legal lapis, and yes very deeply love Fountain Pens. Mostly vintage , but have quite a few Edison Pens.. If anybody here has not tried Fountain Pens....you are missing out on truly a great writing experience.... lets see , by last count 142 pens
    Than in this one! hahah.

Brian, whats a good inexpensive pen to start with?

Been meaning to try one for a while but I've read that left handed people might have a slight problem in writing because you might drag your arm over the ink. Still would like to give one a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post

Brian, whats a good inexpensive pen to start with?
    Well lets see.... Personally I love my vintage Parker "51"s. they have a hooded nib... hold a ton of ink and are easy for a ballpoint user and roller ball user to make the transition. They are a Iconic design, made of lucite, the bladders in the aerometric style are nearly indestructable. I took a 1949 model that someone had not flushed out in 1960, then threw it in a drawer, and it did not see the light of day for at least 45 years. The ink was totally dried in it. I soaked it for a couple of hours, flushed it repeatedly and it is just as good as it was in 1949. Writes like a dream. the "51" can be had for 40 to over 100 dollars. Depends on what you want....gold caps, etc.

Pelikan pens as a current model are also a great starter starter pen but these are fully exposed nibs and can take a little getting used to. NO pressure when writing.

There are a plethra of chinese pens on the market that can be had for a couple of dollars to 30.00, the only problem is quality control and the useability of them can be hit or miss.

Now inks.... hoo boy.... the real fun begins....Noodlers, J. Herbin, Omas....the list goes on and on and on, in about any color you could ever think of.

Personally my favorites are Noodlers and Herbin

I could write for hours on this.....but this is a keyboard and not my journal and FP....so I will stop here
    Brian

Thanks Brian!

Fountain pen fan checking in! My current daily writer is a Pilot Vanishing Point (extra fine nib) with black Noodler's Ink. If I were to recommend a pen to someone wanting to test the waters? Pilot Varsity - disposable and pretty cheap. For the next step up I really like Lamy pens - the Safari is less than $20 and has a pretty nice nib. Between knives, fountain pens and now mechanical keyboards, I am lucky to have an understanding wife.

I've frequently wondered about whether collectors and users of knives were also interested in fountain pens. Same interests in aesthetics, variation, collectability, and the user experience that results when a person uses a tool that helps them express precision and creativity.

I use two fountain pens predominantly these days, a vintage OMAS 1930 with a flexible nib for correspondence and a Pelikan M400 for everyday writing. I'm also an amateur calligrapher, and have a set of old Speedball dip nibs as well as various gold and steel nibs that I've acquired over the years. I'm left handed, and for the person who inquired about compatibility for left handers, the combination of what ink and what paper you use will make all the difference. A slow drying, dye-rich ink can pose problems for lefties, and using dip nibs, which lay down a wetter line, can take practice. With good paper (Clairefontaine is my favorite) and reliable ink (I use Aurora black for rich lines, Pelikan blue and green, and Parker black when I want something that requires absolutely no fuss at all) lefties should have no problems adjusting to fountain pen use.

The problem for me is that the two interests conflict for priority. One day I really want to own a Nakaya that has been custom-tuned to my hand, but that's comparable to all but the most expensive custom knives in price. If I won the lottery, I'd have no trouble spending it!

OMAS nice pen... ! have a 1912 Conklin with a full flex cursive, what a pleasure to write with....can't beat a M400 as well.
    Brian