Knives & Stones Timber sourcing day trip

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkjames

KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
I need great figured timber for my woodworking projects, sayas, handles and magnet knife bars. You are almost guaranteed to get nothing from hardware stores, and timber sheds in the city are more geared towards large quantity uers like furniture makers and decking / fencing guys. There are some higher end timber vendors, but usually the mark up is too big for my little wallet.

So once in a while, a trip to the country is needed, to visit those little timber mills hidden in the bush and convince them that I need their best stuff (usually sitting in their little tresure box). After meeting a nice timber supplier at a timber show, I decided to take a trip to their mill a few days ago.

It is always a pleasure to drive into the mountains.
IMG_2699.JPG

Stopped half way to check out a little look out place
IMG_2715.JPG

The infamous bushfire here in Australia means you can always score a ton of charcoal afterwards, thats probably we love our backyard barbeque here?
IMG_2719.JPG

IMG_2725.JPG

Also came across this awesome looking single-lane bridge
IMG_2739.JPG

Upon arriving, the very first thing that caught my eye was these huge burls pile. These are redgum burls, so tends to have lots of voids here and there, I would be laughing if there were Mallee or Coolibah burls ;p
IMG_2706.JPG

Lots of huge logs and slabs scattered around, but these are not what I am after either
IMG_2705.JPG

And....

this is what I am really talking about! Black wattle and blackwood with A TON OF FIGURE (but you may not see it just like so) ;p
IMG_2703.JPG

Can probably see some fiddleback patterns now (rings)
IMG_2701.JPG

By the time we get back to Sydney, it was late and we stopped by one of our favourate restaurants, a little Japanese place ran by a really skilled chef and his wife. Another lucky thing about being in Australia is we do have lots of good wagyu!
IMG_2767.JPG

So here is what they really look like, after just going through and thickness planner :)
IMG_2795.JPG

IMG_2796.JPG

Can't wait to work on them now!

Wayama?

By the time we get back to Sydney, it was late and we stopped by one of our favourate restaurants, a little Japanese place ran by a really skilled chef and his wife. Another lucky thing about being in Australia is we do have lots of good wagyu!
IMG_2767.JPG

yes, gotta love Noboru-san's dishes!

Just give an update on this on thread. A while ago I went to grab myself some pretty timbers, among them there are a few nice curly Tasmania Blackwood, like this one:
IMG_2796.JPG

So yesterday I finally manage to process one of the smaller logs, and posted a short vid on instagram
https://instagram.com/p/7zKUkvr4dc/

I then went to to stabilize, and polished one of the pieces to just see what it can get up to.
After 40 grit
IMG_5596.JPG

After 220 grit
IMG_5597.JPG

After 1600 grit
IMG_5598.JPG

AND..... after wax and buffing
IMG_5602.JPG

IMG_5603.JPG

Check out here to see the "wave"
https://instagram.com/p/715bvCr4aM/?taken-by=knivesandstones

I don't know what I am going to do with them, prob cut into scales for western knives, since the blocks run a bit thin (23mm), can't really made their way into Wa handles :(

I enjoyed watching you love the hell out of that wood on Instagram. Nice hunting! The stabilized pieces look great. What's your stabilizing process?

Also, I'm beyond envious of your wagyu availability. I paid $175/# importing wagyu, to my restaurant, from Miyazaki, and $10/# at a grocery in Miyazaki. Not a day goes by that I don't pine for wagyu.

I enjoyed watching you love the hell out of that wood on Instagram. Nice hunting! The stabilized pieces look great. What's your stabilizing process?

Also, I'm beyond envious of your wagyu availability. I paid $175/# importing wagyu, to my restaurant, from Miyazaki, and $10/# at a grocery in Miyazaki. Not a day goes by that I don't pine for wagyu.

I use the cactus juice to stabilize the timber. Australia is a major wagyu beef producer so we often can get some great wagyu locally, but the best ones are still hard to come by.

Back