Quantcast
Petty Profile
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Petty Profile

Petty Profile

I have been studying profiles of gyuto and sujihiki and with your feedback I think I got those down. Now, I have questions about petty.

The edge curve on a petty seems to be similar to the edge curve on a gyuto, but (from my own experience) most work with petty is done with a tip area, so I am going to concentrate on it first.

So, how much curve and belly near the tip - note it on Shigefusa petty (or lack of) on a petty would make a good knife? Also, what is an optimal height at the heel? I have seen some suggestions that 40-42mm, but it seems a bit high, no? Please note, thise questions are about petty, not petty chef which is taller.

Here is a profile that I am considering using. I ground it from a petty I made at Devin last November. I think I would make it a bit taller at the heel, but leave the height and shape of the tip area unchanged. For comparison purposes, I placed it next to Shigefusa petty in the same length.

Thank you.

M

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1783.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1353

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1784.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1354

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I like that extra meat at the tip of the shiggy.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I like it. The Shig is more like a mini Gyuto.
    For a mini Gyuto I would like it to be more like a Carter Funyaki

I have three 150 petties. An expensive Heiji, a relatively cheap (thinned) Masahiro and a very thin Ashi. I like the tip on the Ashi the best (quite pointy like yours and my old Konosuke wa-petty). I like the steel and sheer cutting power of the Heiji. BUT the medium weight slightly less pointy Masahiro is the one I tend to use the most out of the three. I'd err on the side of being a little thick than thin but I do like your tip. I guess this isn't very helpful, is it... I guess I'd pick yours over the Shige...

This one is tough, because a petty (IMO) is a much more individual knife than a gyuto or suji. People tend to have a set definition for what they like to do with a gyuto or suji - that is, for the most part people use a gyuto as a board knife and slicer in a pinch, and a suji as a slicing knife or a board knife in a pinch. I know there are some exceptions, but this is the general rule. As such we can come to agreement on good general profiles for each of these knives. Again, some will like more belly than the next, etc., but we can come to a more or less general consensus.

Petty's on the other hand are a different thing entirely. Some people like them used in hand like a parer. Some like to use them on a board. Some would even use one for slicing small meats like chicken breast. Some like to use them as a boning knife, for breaking down small fowl (chicken, quail, cornish hen, etc.). Personally, I like to use mine as an all-around-on-the-go-knife. That is, when my friends invite me over to cook at their house, I don't grab by gyuto, I grab my petty. It might be more work and less precise, but I can get the job done with just the petty, and not feel like I'm hauling around a much more expensive knife. In fact, I have a petty that usually lives in my car for just such an occasion. As such I often use mine on a board to dice onions or other vegetables, break down meats, slice things, etc. Because of this, I prefer your profile over the shig. The flatness gives more contact for the board and allows for easier board work. This makes maybe breaking down a whole chicken a little bit tricker (that bit of curve near the tip would help me at least be more precise with deboning), but I am willing to sacrifice a little bit of difficulty with things like boning and slicing to have that extra board contact. Other's however might use the knife more as a boning knife or for use in hand and prefer the curve. There are no set "rules" for the majority of usage of a petty, and that makes finding the right profile a difficult one.

As I said I personally prefer your profile, but that's just me. Particularly with this knife you might need to be working more individually with your customers to get exactly the kind of profile they have in mind for an individual order. For instance someone who plans to use it in air like a pairing knife might prefer more curve in the profile, as this accommodates the kind of rolling motion you get with your hands while peeling something in the air.

Very helpful. Thank you guys.

I have never owned a petty that had a little belly near the tip, so I wasn't sure what the function of it was so Joe's explanation has filled that blank.

I have used a couple of petties with pointy tips and found them fairly versatile to use as a parer (knife has to be on a narrow side at the heel) and a board knife. Never debonned a chicken with a petty (use honesuki for that) but this might be my next test.

How about the preferred height and thickness at the tip?

M

I really like that profile for a petty. Maybe just a hair thicker at the tip and just a bit more heel height, but that's just nitpicking.

40-42mm at the heel seems way to high for a petty.

I was thinking 35mm max but would like to hear what others have to say on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I was thinking 35mm max but would like to hear what others have to say on this.
    I agree. Much higher would make it nearly like a small Carter funayuki and relegate it to pretty much board work only. Would completely kill the versatility of the knife when it comes to things like paring or using it as mentioned before to break down small fowl.

Quote Originally Posted by UglyJoe View Post
    I agree. Much higher would make it nearly like a small Carter funayuki and relegate it to pretty much board work only. Would completely kill the versatility of the knife when it comes to things like paring or using it as mentioned before to break down small fowl.
    Sounds like I won't be making too many changes to the existing profile. Thickness I can work out on my own.

M

+ Reply to Thread