Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Petty Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman91 View Post
    I think Salty makes a good point

Mike
    I made the adjustment.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

So this is a new profile (I think it is still a work in progress) and would like to hear your opinion. Still working on geometry. Believe it or not, I find it harder to grind smaller knives like petty and less tall knives like suji than a gyuto.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1811.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	1467

As everyone else said Petty's come with personal preference, mine being biased towards the mini gyuto shape. So take the things I say in mind to that.

Two things:

I feel like the spine tapers to roundly to the tip, When I look for a tip of a petty I try and find symmetry in the spine and edge tapering to the tip. it may just be angle of the photo but it seems like the spine and edge approach at different angles.
    This may purely be a cosmetic thing on my part I'm not if the approach angle really would matter if you are getting the amount of belly you want.

Second thing:
    I love the heel design, it flows so nicely, its like finger-slot design (I'm sure there is a name for that, that I'm not recalling).

All in all, a good looking knife.

Looking good, how tall is it at the heel?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman91 View Post
    Looking good, how tall is it at the heel?
    it's about 35mm. I raised the heel without raising a nose, hence a new profile in works. My wife gets to keep this one and I get to sharpen 52100 over VG10.

M

I think it might be too flat. I'd put a little more curve toward the tip. Not much though. It could be the picture, too. Hard to tell. I wouldn't want it completely flat is all.

Personal preference, indeed. I like the first one....
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Actually, I corrected a profile. Will post pics when heat treat and grind it.

M

Mighty Petty

This is a new petty profile.

This time I decided to try something different - a petty that is mighty on the spine, but relatively thin at the edge and the middle.
    The resulting petty has zero flex along the spine, has some weight to it, and could definitely take some abuse.

Moreover, this knife has experimental heat treatment that is to maximize edge retention. Based on the indicators how difficult it was to grind and finish, the experiment might have been a success, but I won't know it until I do a rope cutting test. More to follow.

52100. 165mm on the edge (180mm tip to machi), 2.7mm at the machi, 0.7mm - 1cm from the tip. 79g w/out a handle. Shallow convex grind. Next to Shigefusa petty to compare profile, fit and finish.

Name:	DSC_1815.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	1507

Name:	DSC_1814.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	1508

I like it!