Anyone know asai knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recall a notice on EE that master Masami Asai sadly passed away in 2014. While he had an apprentice, it is unclear which product lines will be continued.

I have not used one of his knives, but have often eyed the stainless clad AS line:

http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=91852

I have not been in the j knife game long, but It seems to be a sad time when many of the aging masters are reaching the end of their careers. At the risk of stating the obvious, i hope that this great art is not lost.

I owned several Asai knives (wa gyuto, wa nakiri) in SG-2 steel. They were beautifully crafted with a deep etch to the circular damascus cladding. I think Epicurean Edge still sells the line. I ended up selling them because I took a liking to thinner laser-like knives.

They were gorgeous pieces of art. I should try to hang on to a piece for each knife 'master' just for my collection.

EE still have a few Asai made Asais...if it makes sense.

The new ones are made by his apprentice who is continuing under the brand name. They seem cheap yet well made and Cleancut have some of those.

Just looking at the asai line in as steel and I wonder if anyone know the pro and the cons of them.
[emoji1]

I bought one of the few original Asais (AS steel, clad) earlier this year, the Hakata Santoku. Just because I like the shape and wanted one from Asai to keep.

I like it, really useful tip. I actually also have a Yoshikane SLD Hakata.

The Asai was super reactive at the edge, probably most reactive knife I ever used. It developed a slight patina right away, just cut one carrot, one onion and some celery.

Back