Quantcast
Knife for the wife - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife for the wife

Nope. No 5.5" but these knives are so light, you really have plenty of control at the 8" size. It might just takea little getting used to. I also find a 6" petty very useful. If I had to, I could do just about anything with it.

Sorry, that was a 140 mm or about 5".

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Nope. No 5.5" but these knives are so light, you really have plenty of control at the 8" size. It might just takea little getting used to. I also find a 6" petty very useful. If I had to, I could do just about anything with it.
    Good to know. I think the knife class will help. Also, the one in our area isn't a Shun class, so no free knife. The $100 Shun class gets you a free knife. I think that is a killer deal if your area does it.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post

Sorry, that was a 140 mm or about 5".
    There is the 6" (or 150mm) Petty, which I am guessing is a Chef's knife? But she really likes the style of a Santoku

As much as I don't like celebrity endorsed anything, how are the Furi knives with Rachel Ray behind them? This set seems very intriguing to me.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/furi-p...ife-set-p18583

A santoku is a chef's knife with a stubby tip. Pointy tips are useful and they experience less drag going through food stuff. If you want to explore some good lower priced options, go for Tojiro or Fujiwara.

Buy nice or buy twice.

Go for a Murray Carter High Grade Funayuki
    This one: http://www.cartercutlery.com/japanes...lo-horn-handle
    or
    This one: http://www.cartercutlery.com/japanes...-horn-handle-0

And you could have it rehandled by Darkhoek or another closer to you:
    http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/ga...10900808-1.jpg
    http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/ga...10900825-2.jpg

If money is the important, go for a Torjo DP 180 Gyuto for 70 bucks or go for the 80 dollar Torjo DP 180 Damscus Gyuto that looks awesome

But I recommend the Carter, awesome knife for females. I got one, and Im about to order one more from Carter (and I have ordered one from Marko in 150 and 2 x 180 from Marko as well)

Agreed. If this is in your budget, it performs like no other. The problem would be the exposed carbon steel core which would rust to hell in no time if left wet. The tips are also somewhat delicate and the handles are burnt in so if that gets soaked a couple times, it will come off or you could have rusting issues inside the handle. The handle is also the cheapest handle around, and I don't just mean inexpensive. It works but that's it.

The carter gets a nice patina. I had mine wet for several hours (yeah I was drunk) and no harm, but then again a nice patina had developed already. The patina forms quickly on a carter, and if you are careful you would have a nice patina within a week

I also think that if you have a nice knife you will be more careful with it, and you will wipe it clean after use. Just follow some simple rules:
    No dishwasher
    Wipe dry after use
    Was with mild soap and water and wipe off.
    Keep it stored safe

A nice rehandle will cost you like 100 bucks. You can also buy a carter on the buy/sell/trade marked. I did and got one for 150 bucks.

No cutting of bones and frozen food.

Hmm, the more I am reading these comments, the more I think maybe a "nice" knife isn't for us.

+1 to a Carter.

I purchased a 5.4 sun SFGZ White No. 1 Funayuki with a Riveted Handle for my girlfriend. She preferred a small Global santoku before I got this for her and wasn't particularly careful about wiping down knives after using them prior to this knife. This would be about the same size as the Miyabi.

However, she LOVES this knife. In fact, she really enjoys cutting now because this knife is a great cutting knife, light and easy to use. It's probably the best cutting knife that we have. She also now takes extremely good care of it, regularly wiping it down and washing it regularly. There's only minor discoloration at the tip because of the exposed carbon core, but it seems to hold up well even to acidic foods like lemons and limes. The handle doesn't look like much, but it's extremely practical and comfortable. She also really considers how something looks like, but she was fine with the handle.

We purchased it during Carter's last sale - it was roughly the same price as the Miyabi.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

+ Reply to Thread