Quantcast
Knife for the wife - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife for the wife

When we went to SLT for Kramer's talk a couple months ago, my wife tried a bunch of demo knifes and really liked the Miyabi gyuto -- so she bought one. She uses is a lot, along with a 210 Hiromoto gyuto Dave Martell rehandled for us. The Miyabi is stainless steel, and really won out in her mind against the shorter ZH Kramer and against the Shuns. She telecommutes a couple days a week, and often does a quick lunch prep and leaves knifes laying around wet/ dirty. She knows not to do it with the Hiromoto (carbon steel edge), but she does not have to worry about the Miyabi.

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    When we went to SLT for Kramer's talk a couple months ago, my wife tried a bunch of demo knifes and really liked the Miyabi gyuto -- so she bought one. She uses is a lot, along with a 210 Hiromoto gyuto Dave Martell rehandled for us. The Miyabi is stainless steel, and really won out in her mind against the shorter ZH Kramer and against the Shuns. She telecommutes a couple days a week, and often does a quick lunch prep and leaves knifes laying around wet/ dirty. She knows not to do it with the Hiromoto (carbon steel edge), but she does not have to worry about the Miyabi.
    Hmm, and the edge is as sharp as ever? Does she steel them a lot?

She pretty much uses three knives for most of her prep. We've had this one ~2 months, and I have not needed to sharpen it. Still waiting on the JKS stropping kit, so it has not even been stropped, but it easily slid through tomatoes and onions the other night. No steels here -- they are not very friendly to knife edges!

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    She pretty much uses three knives for most of her prep. We've had this one ~2 months, and I have not needed to sharpen it. Still waiting on the JKS stropping kit, so it has not even been stropped, but it easily slid through tomatoes and onions the other night. No steels here -- they are not very friendly to knife edges!
    Really? You shouldn't steel a knife?

Quote Originally Posted by vfamily View Post
    Really? You shouldn't steel a knife?
    Sounds almost right. Honing (steeling) on Steel Rods that are generally to hard on Japanese knives and will chip them. This is because the japanese steel does not roll over as easy as some german steel, allowing it to take a sharper edge.

Steeling (honing) on A ceramic honing rod will work. however:

I'm sure lots of the members here use something called a strop kit. It lets you refine the edge on a piece of leather/wood/newspaper using abrasives.

She got a Miyabi Fusion: http://uncategorized.sendori.com/sea...uWfwB9C2ZkyAbG

Steels are pretty course, and can chip the edges of blades that have harder tempers. They may be okay on softer german stainless steel knifes (wusthoffs, etc.), but they can damage the harder steel used on these knives. If you must use a rod, usually a smooth borosilicate or ceramic rod is recommended, but the best is to strop on felt or leather loaded with diamond spray or chromium oxide powder.

There is loads of info/ threads out there about 'steels' and stropping.

whoops -- jm2hill beat me to it! :-)

Hi vf,

Sorry I'm replying so late here. The Miyabi's have a pretty solid reputation as good Shun competitors. There are a few here that even prefer them. If your questions is "Is there a better knife out there for the money", well yes. But you'll be making some trade-offs. The Miyabi's have some top-notch finishing. Everything fits just right, is nice and polished, and a lot of attention has been paid to small details. Additionally most find it looks great. Moreover you know your wife likes it. Now, if the questions is "Is there another knife that has all of this for cheaper?" ... probably not. We tend to value function over all else here. So, while we could point you to a better performing knife, you'd probably lose some of that other stuff. Someone here recommended a Tojiro Damascus for instance. Tojiro's cut great, have good steel and this one even has a similar cladding to the Kaizen. But you're not going to get the same level of finish on this knife. Whether that's worth $40 is up to you.

The question of how to keep it sharp, however, does remain. The factory edge on that Miyabi will last a LONG time in a home kitchen, but not forever. There are things you can do to help extend that life (like getting a ceramic rod for honing or rigid strop) but the edge WILL need to be sharpened at some point. This will be true of ANY knife, though, so I don't think it should deter your purchase of the or anything else. My vote would be to keep the wife happy. If she loves the Miyabi then great! It's a fine knife and will put in many years of service.

Hi vfamily!

Based on everything you've said, I think I would echo bprescot's advice and say go with the Miyabi. It's going to be a good knife and you won't have to worry about the fit & finish as you might with cheaper blades nor will you have to be as vigilant about rust dangers as you would with a carbon. Plus, you've already been able to try it out and know that your wife likes it! Finally, Sur La Table has an ultra-lenient return policy, so if you buy the knife and it doesn't turn out to be what you hoped for, you can always take it back and try something else instead!
    - Erik

No knife, no matter how cheap, will ever survive a dishwasher. It's not the knife, it's the dishwasher. So you gotta get in the practice of wiping a knife after you are done with it--kitchen towels exist for the same reason as toilet paper. It's cleaner and safer.

I do not recommend anything carbon-steel, because it sounds like you might leave some lemon butter on it at one time or another(that doesn't make you a bad person). I would suggest that if you are willing to change a few things to take care of the knife, you can go with a stainless like a Tojiro, which is a fairly thin knife for cheap. The finish on it isn't great, but I'm sure you can handle a little sandpaper if it's really bugging you.

Your other option, IMO, is to buy a Victorinox chef's knife and learn to sharpen it. Having a knife that is sharp is more important than having one that is well designed. The problem with these cheaper knives is that they don't let you be lazy--they don't stay sharp for very long at all. Steeling will help soft steel knives like the Victorinox, but they edge will need repair long before harder(read: slightly more brittle) steel like the Tojiro.

So:
    Buy a good, stainless knife, and have it professionally maintained about twice a year.
    or
    Buy a cheap knife like a Victorinox(my favorite beaters), and learn to sharpen it yourself.

No knife will stay sharp forever. Its just not going to happen! But the difference between a Victorinox and a Carter is beyond night and day. They are barely the same tool.