Quantcast
Knife for the wife - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife for the wife

Wow, awesome stuff guys. I will have a sit down with my wife today, and find out what she wants to do. I totally get the soft/hard knife thing now. I'll see what she thinks is a good plan. Obviously if I could get away with $30, I would, but if the wife is happy, I really don't think another $90 is going to kill me. If it lasts it was well worth it.

If I do decide on the Miyabi, or any other japanese knife, do you all recommend going to a pro to get it sharpened when it needs it?

Quote Originally Posted by Amon-Rukh View Post
    Hi vfamily!

Based on everything you've said, I think I would echo bprescot's advice and say go with the Miyabi. It's going to be a good knife and you won't have to worry about the fit & finish as you might with cheaper blades nor will you have to be as vigilant about rust dangers as you would with a carbon. Plus, you've already been able to try it out and know that your wife likes it! Finally, Sur La Table has an ultra-lenient return policy, so if you buy the knife and it doesn't turn out to be what you hoped for, you can always take it back and try something else instead!
    My wife saw my Miyabi Birchwood parer that Pensacola Tiger sold me and she loved it immediately. She even said, "Now I know why you like knives so much." I think most chicks would did the Miyabi line.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

If it was me I'd go for the Miyabi Kaizen 8" chef while it's on sale for $100. I know she likes a shorter knife, but Sur La Table has such a generous return policy your wife could use it for a while to try and get accustomed to the length. If after a month she doesn't like it, take it back and get something else. There's also a 6" chef for more money so if the 8" doesn't work out but she likes everything else about the knife then you can go that route. If I had a need for a chef's knife and was keeping my choices to local retail stores I'd buy the Kaizen and never look back.

Oh, I also think the Birchwood line looks great too. I'd could be happy with either line.

Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    If it was me I'd go for the Miyabi Kaizen 8" chef while it's on sale for $100. I know she likes a shorter knife, but Sur La Table has such a generous return policy your wife could use it for a while to try and get accustomed to the length. If after a month she doesn't like it, take it back and get something else. There's also a 6" chef for more money so if the 8" doesn't work out but she likes everything else about the knife then you can go that route. If I had a need for a chef's knife and was keeping my choices to local retail stores I'd buy the Kaizen and never look back.

Oh, I also think the Birchwood line looks great too. I'd could be happy with either line.
    Wife tried the Birchwood, but that is was awfully slippery when she was cutting a potato. It's good to know they have a good return policy. We bought some stuff there I think we are going to return, and I might just have her buy the knife she wants. Then I might get an 8" Forschner Chef's knife for me when I grill.

She isn't hot on the idea of a magnetic strip. Says she doesn't like the look. What are your thoughts on the Kapoosh? http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CCQQ8wIwAA

Quote Originally Posted by vfamily View Post
    She isn't hot on the idea of a magnetic strip. Says she doesn't like the look. What are your thoughts on the Kapoosh? http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CCQQ8wIwAA
    You'll be happy with the Forschner, sharp and you'll enjoy it, take it too a sharpener once a year and you'll for the most part always be happy with its performance.

I have a magnetic strip and love it so I can show off some knives but thats all just preference.

This is the first time seeing the kapoosh and I think that its hilarious but I love it.

something like this - http://www.amazon.com/Kapoosh-Knife-...2935942&sr=1-6

Not sure what it will do to the edge of knives but may order it just to see.

ooh, did't know about the caddy.

Quote Originally Posted by vfamily View Post
    I really hope I can convince her on this.

http://www.amazon.com/Endurance-Magn...2957411&sr=1-8
    I think you should consider upgrading to this one, it's prettier(for the wife's decor) and better for your knife, because there isn't a strip of exposed metal-on-metal action.

I recommend that you either learn to sharpen it(if you want to invest the time and energy to gain a permanent skill), or get a pro to do it. If you try out a local guy, I'd be careful to make sure he is qualified(there's a lot of hacks out there), and if you want to do mail order, that's a good route, though you won't have your knife for a few weeks. A good pro sharpening is top notch, and will last a VERY long time at home, provided you aren't cutting on glass/poly/cheap bamboo.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    I think you should consider upgrading to this one, it's prettier(for the wife's decor) and better for your knife, because there isn't a strip of exposed metal-on-metal action.

I recommend that you either learn to sharpen it(if you want to invest the time and energy to gain a permanent skill), or get a pro to do it. If you try out a local guy, I'd be careful to make sure he is qualified(there's a lot of hacks out there), and if you want to do mail order, that's a good route, though you won't have your knife for a few weeks. A good pro sharpening is top notch, and will last a VERY long time at home, provided you aren't cutting on glass/poly/cheap bamboo.
    Those are gorgeous, except it has to be less than 11 inches to fit on the side of the cabinet.

I suppose I could cut it.

Then you order one in 10 inches......