Time for a 240mm Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cave_dweller

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I figure it's time for me to try a larger Gyuto. I have a couple of 210mm Gyutos (Gesshin Ginga and Wusthof) and from time to time I find myself wishing for an extra couple of inches (stop smirking at the back there!). Recommendations would be welcome.

UK.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Gyuto / chef's knife

Are you right or left handed?

Left handed (and there's the kicker!)

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

I don't care. Really. I have both, and seem to be equally inept with both. A simple Wa handle would be fine though.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

240mm. I tried a 270 and I struggled!

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

Preferably stainless, stainless clad carbon, or semi-stainless.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

$200

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Mincing herbs, garlic
Slicing veg (various - but not big tough stuff like squashes)
Slicing/portioning raw proteins (nothing with bones involved)

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Not a replacement - this is additional. I'll be supplementing a Gesshin Ginga carbon 210mm Gyuto and a 210mm (ish) Wusthof. I love the Ginga, but the shipping costs to the UK are a killer, so I'm hoping to source something 'more local'.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

Pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

Slicing and push cutting

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Something with a fair bit more heft than the Ginga. Less wedging and good food release is important. As a leftie, I've suffered in the past using '50/50' knives that are evenly ground at the edge, but have asymmetric grinds higher up. I suspect this affects food release. I'd like it to be reasonably 'tall'.

Aesthetics don't bother me at all, if it cuts right. I like Kurouchi finishes. Good balance is important - I have largish hands, but pathetically weak wrists!

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

End grain wood.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes, with waterstones (but I'm not good at it).

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes. I could do with an improved finishing stone. I'm currently using a (new) Naniwa pro 1000 grit and a King 6000. I don't get on with the King.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

It can be as ugly as a bag of spanners, provided it cuts well (or can be made to cut well without a mad amount of work). Posh finishes like Damascus aren't really interesting. Maintenance is fine - I enjoy sharpening, but would prefer something that isn't too reactive.

I hope that's enough to go on. I find it difficult to find knives for lefties that I can try, and although we get good at compensating, food release has been a long term bug bear for me - the 'flatter' convex grinds often found on the back faces of 50/50 gyutos don't seem to help.

So... any idea out there folks?

Thanks.

> Less wedging and good food release is important.

Do you have problems with Ginga wedging?

The king of shipping right now is japanesechefsknife and for your price range you will get free shipping from japanesenaturalstones (sponsoring vendor here) too. But I am not sure if the later has anything that cheap as a knife in 240.

Also can you clarify if the 200$ is pre or post vat (if it is post than your real outside EU budget is 165$)

>

Do you have problems with Ginga wedging?

Actually no, I wasn't clear. The Wusthof wedges. I rarely use the Ginga on anything that would cause wedging.

With respect to the budget, I was hoping to get something for $200 'all in'. I keep forgetting that it's usual to talk about prices before tax in some countries.

Thanks for the advice on places to look. I've paid Japanesechefsknife a visit and they have plenty but I have no clue about most of the brands. I'll definitely give JNS another look - that Itinomonn looks promising.

I suggest waiting to hear from some lefties...may know of something actually ground to your benefit.

I suggest waiting to hear from some lefties...may know of something actually ground to your benefit.

Yeah, I'd be really grateful for any advice from southpaws with more experience than I have!

Back