Mid/higher end knife recommedations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stearate

Reaction score
USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Chef's knife.
Are you right or left handed?
Right-handed.
Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
No preference.
What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
240mm but open to size suggestions.
Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No.
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
No real limit.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home use, some commissary use.
What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Chopping, slicing, mincing vegetables, slicing and trimming meats.
What knife, if any, are you replacing?
240mm Tanaka Blue #2.
Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?
Pinch grip
What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
rocking motion, slice, drawing motion.
What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Balance, aesthetics, better ff, sharper.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes.
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I'm looking to pick up my first mid/higher end chef knife and I was hoping that this community could offer some suggestions. I have several knives in white steel #1, blue steel #2, VG10, and AEBL and I wanted to explore some other steels.

The knives that i've been looking at so far are:
Hiromoto AS gyoto
Takeda 240 Classic AS gyoto
z kramer 8inch
Tanaka R2 Ironwood

Other options are always welcome. Thanks.

there's an Ittetsu on BST with a custom handle you should buy.

also how is Takeda on your list if you want good f&f?

My main knife for the last 18 months has been a 240 Tanaka blue 2.
Just picked up a Tanaka R2 Ironwood - awesome knife. The only thing that comes close to it is my Takamura R2.
Definitely recommend the Tanaka R2.

there's an Ittetsu on BST with a custom handle you should buy.

also how is Takeda on your list if you want good f&f?

I've never handled a Takeda before, never thought that F&F would be an issue. I've was just curious about AS and knew that Takedas were well reviewed. If F&F is an issue then i'll pull it from the list.

Thanks

I've never handled a Takeda before, never thought that F&F would be an issue. I've was just curious about AS and knew that Takedas were well reviewed. If F&F is an issue then i'll pull it from the list.

Thanks

The fit and finish on Takeda's knives is not an issue. Some just don't care for a rustic look, that's all.

My main knife for the last 18 months has been a 240 Tanaka blue 2.
Just picked up a Tanaka R2 Ironwood - awesome knife. The only thing that comes close to it is my Takamura R2.
Definitely recommend the Tanaka R2.

Hows the balance of your Ironwood? My Tanaka originally was really blade heavy, i think around 3cm in front of pinch. I have fairly small hands so balance is something that I really can't overlook.

Thanks

The fit and finish on Takeda's knives is not an issue. Some just don't care for a rustic look, that's all.

this.

"not an issue" is an accurate characterization. "very good f&f" is other knives.

to some people, having a pretty knife with the sides rounded off and a fancy handle matters. I dont begrudge those people, because I am those people.

I have a 210 gyoto and 150 wa petty from Teruyasu Fujiwara that have horrible F&F and i was worried that the Takeda would have the similar issues. I think the black iron cladding on the Takeda looks great. Are there any food staining issues if i'm working on something rough and acidic like pineapples or parsnips?

I have a 210 gyoto and 150 wa petty from Teruyasu Fujiwara that have horrible F&F and i was worried that the Takeda would have the similar issues. I think the black iron cladding on the Takeda looks great. Are there any food staining issues if i'm working on something rough and acidic like pineapples or parsnips?

Reactivity would only be an issue if you scrub off the kuro-uchi finish, which on a Takeda is more durable than many other brands.

Thank you all for the help. I've decided on the Tanaka R2 Ironwood.

Now the hard part- actually finding the knife. Anyone know where it's still in stock?

Thanks

Did you check with James at Knives and Stones? I thought they had some in stock recently.

Back