Media Best Chef's Knife article

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 8" (210mm) Mac they recommend was my first good knife, it is and was a damn good knife but as it is a a 210, I just don't use it that much anymore. I also think it is a little overpriced compared to some of the other 210's out there as one never sees it discounted but fit and finish are always impeccable and it sharpens up nicely. It wouldn't be my first recommendation for a stainless 210 in its price range but it wouldn't be off the list either. ANd they are right that Tojiro's are a great "first" (stainless) j-knife -- as we all know.

I like how they sharpen. I've done some repairs on some and I was impressed for a production knife. I have recommended them many times. Are they truly great? No. But they beat the crap out of lots of knives in the price range. I recommend them MUCH more than Shun for instance, or Wusthof, but also aren't out of reach of people who are not yet overly knowledgeable with knife care or sharpening or who might have other people in their kitchens quite often who won't take care of a knife. Not a knife for us nerds, but a very solid step up for almost everyone out there cooking. It could also be a gateway drug into even better knives. . .

i think a victorinox/forschner is all anyone ever needs. if you want higher quality i agree with the article, mac pros are right at the bang/buck point with tojiro dp the best low budget option.
the biggest difference maker is learning how to sharpen. electric chefs choice is great for getting a usable edge, but cutting performance suffers considerably after a while and will have to just get a new knife or learn how to thin the blade.

wusthof pro line is interesting as vic knives are no longer dirt cheap.

As I said earlier the Mac dimples was my gateway knife, it's a great knife, I still recommend it to people who want a 210 and want to spend more than a Tojiro costs for a better F&F

As far as Victorinox's go,they are way overpriced now and getting worse every time the franc goes higher, I would always recommend the Tramontina pros available at costco for like 1/5th the price over them

Wusthof pro line seems interesting but don't know that line seems to be similar to the Victornox in profile and grind?

Mac was my go to brand a lifetime ago. After culinary school I ditched my wustofs for Macs, just recently gave away my last piece still in my kit to my sous. Every once in a while I ask him if I can use it just for old times sake.

Martha the she-whore. That kind of disgusting uneducated vitriol is why I post more on other shall not be named forums. As a professional chef, which I am, I can vouch for her recipes, they always work. Do you work...as a chef? That was the rudest douchiest comment I've read in awhile. Shes not here to defend her whoreness, youre here so defend your piss poor attitude. Ok kkf bring the hate.

Back